The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE TWO - By Stuart Clarke

MICKEY Lewis re­fused to be drawn on his chances of be­com­ing Ox­ford’s per­ma­nent man­ager af­ter the U’s recorded con­sec­u­tive home wins for the first time in 18 months with vic­tory over AFC Wim­ble­don.

Tom Newey gave Ox­ford the lead in the clos­ing stages of the first half, nod­ding in Danny Rose’s cor­ner, be­fore David Con­nolly scored on his de­but to give his new side their eighth suc­ces­sive win against AFC Wim­ble­don.

Char­lie Wyke scored the con­so­la­tion goal for the Dons – their first ever goal against Ox­ford – cap­i­tal­is­ing on some de­fen­sive in­de­ci­sion.

But de­spite the win, Lewis in­sisted that he is more con­cerned about on-the-pitch is­sues than he is about his po­ten­tial in­ter­view for the va­cant man­age­rial po­si­tion left by the de­parted Chris Wilder.

“I don’t want to sound like a to­tal bore, but I’m just con­cen­trat­ing on the next game at Bury,” he said.

“I thought that Wim­ble­don re­ally put us un­der pres­sure at times and we had to stand up to that and re­ally put a shift in.

“It was a tight first half and Newey scored an im­por­tant goal from a very good set piece.

“David Con­nolly is 36-years-old but is still pre­pared to run in from be­hind peo­ple and he showed that with his goal.

“It was a great goal at the right time for us and he took it bril­liantly. He showed what a class player he is and his ex­pe­ri­ence shone through.”

In a fairly in­nocu­ous first half, the visi­tors had the best of the pos­ses­sion and ter­ri­tory, but it was Ox­ford who took the un­likely lead just be­fore half-time.

Af­ter Matt Be­vans forced a cor­ner off Harry Pell, Rose’s in­swing­ing de­liv­ery was di­verted past Ross Worner off the head of left-back Newey for his first goal for the club.

Dead­line-day loan sign­ing Con­nolly came off the bench at half-time to try and in­spire some life into the lack­lus­tre Ox­ford at­tack.

And the vet­eran striker made an im­me­di­ate im­pact, latch­ing on to Newey’s ball for­ward and loop­ing it over the on­rush­ing Worner for Ox­ford’s sec­ond.

Wyke pulled one back for Wim­ble­don af­ter a de­fen­sive er­ror by Johnny Mullins al­lowed the striker to beat Ryan Clarke at his near post, but it was lit­tle con­so­la­tion for his man­ager Neal Ard­ley

“I’ve got that feel­ing of grave dis­ap­point­ment,” Ard­ley said. “I can’t re­ally fault the play­ers as I’ve asked them to stand up and be men and they did that.

“There were very few clear chances and the goal in the first half came out of the blue be­cause up un­til then they hadn’t re­ally threat­ened.

“I felt like we could have got some­thing from the game and we cer­tainly weren’t out­played here.

“The only con­so­la­tion that I can take is that I thought we played well, I thought we were on the as­cen­dency for large parts of the game.”

PIC­TURES: Ian Mors­man


Ox­ford AT A STRETCH: Dave Con­nolly beats Will An­twi to score Ox­ford’s sec­ond goal

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.