Fraser’s face-off costs Glovers

The Football League Paper - - CHAMPIONSHIP - By Chris Spit­tles To com­ment on this match go to http://boards.footy­

YEOVIL Town are still bat­tling for their Cham­pi­onship life af­ter they were de­nied vic­tory by one of the most bizarre goals of the sea­son.

The Glovers took the lead through a 20-yard vol­ley from rookie striker Ki­ef­fer Moore and knew a vic­tory would pro­vide a mas­sive boost to their rel­e­ga­tion fight.

But Bournemouth lev­elled on the hour mark when winger Ryan Fraser de­flected the ball into the net with his face.

The Scot closed down a clear­ance from By­ron Web­ster and saw the ball can­non off him and loop into the top cor­ner of the Yeovil goal.

Fraser sus­tained a cut lip in the process of scor­ing – but it was Yeovil man­ager Gary John­son left feel­ing the pain af­ter his side were pegged back.

He said:“We're gut­ted with the way they got the equaliser al­though we are happy with the way we played.

“Our hopes of avoid­ing rel­e­ga­tion are still alive but it was so cruel the way they got their goal be­cause I felt we de­served to win.

“It was a com­plete freak.There was only one place the ball could have gone into the net and that's where it ended up.

“I can't dwell on it too much or I'll end up slash­ing my wrists so I've got to look at the pos­i­tives of our per­for­mance.

“We played some good foot­ball and Ki­ef­fer Moore scored a bril­liant goal for us to go with a great all-round dis­play. I hope now ev­ery­one can see what a good player he is.”

Bournemouth saw their fiveg­ame win­ning run grind to a halt de­spite Fraser's for­tu­nate in­ter­ven­tion.

The draw does noth­ing to en­hance the Cher­ries' play-off hopes, but boss Ed­die Howe in­sists they won't give up in their pur­suit of a top six fin­ish.

He said: “We'll just keep go­ing. We've got four games left this sea­son now and we'll try to win them all.

“We'll never give up. Who know's what's in store? Who knows how many points we need and who will take that sixth spot?

“We weren't at our best to­day and phys­i­cally we looked a lit­tle bit tired with all the ex­er­tions of re­cent weeks and the games we've had.

“We looked a lit­tle bit leggy but I still felt the game could have gone ei­ther way, both teams were go­ing for the three points. Both teams' at­ti­tude was ex­cel­lent.

Both teams wasted good early chances to take the lead as Matt Ritchie blazed over the bar for Bournemouth be­fore James Hayter missed from close range for Yeovil.

Fraser then forced a good save from Glovers keeper Marek Stech be­fore the home side took the lead on 26 min­utes.

Moore latched on to a headed clear­ance and slammed a first­time vol­ley into the net, giv­ing Cher­ries' keeper Lee Camp no chance.

Be­fore the break, Bournemouth's top scorer Lewis Grab­ban cre­ated an op­por­tu­nity to level with a bril­liant turn past Web­ster but then lost his com­po­sure and shot well wide.

In the sec­ond half, Yeovil de­fender Shane Duffy came close with a header from a cor­ner, but on the hour the vis­i­tors equalised with a freak goal.

Web­ster tried to blast the ball clear but it hit Fraser and from 15 yards out it looped into the net.

PIC­TURES: Pin­na­cle

EYES ON THE PRIZE: Yeovil Town’s Ki­ef­fer Moore their goal

ROOKIE: Ki­ef­fer Moore

is con­grat­u­lated

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.