The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE TWO - By Andy Cooke To com­ment on this match go to http://boards.footy­mad.net/

THE team from Guin­ness may well be pay­ing a trip to Scun­thorpe in the week to in­ves­ti­gate whether man­ager Russ Wil­cox broke the world record with his 26th game un­beaten since tak­ing charge.

Wil­cox’s run with­out de­feats since tak­ing charge beats the 25 matches An­dre Vil­las-Boas went with­out los­ing at the helm of Por­tuguese gi­ants Porto.

Bury, who fell be­hind twice de­spite hav­ing looked the most threat­en­ing go­ing for­ward, snatched a point five min­utes into stop­page time, when sub­sti­tute Danny Rose caught Iron goal­keeper Sam Slo­combe flat-footed with a curl­ing shot from the edge of the penalty area.

It made for muted cel­e­bra­tions for Scun­thorpe, for whom the point was enough to take them top of the ta­ble. But record breaker Wil­cox pre­ferred to fo­cus on the pos­i­tives.

“We wanted three points but we couldn’t quite man­age it,” he said.

“It’s a bit like déjà vu from Box­ing Day but credit to Bury, they kept go­ing un­til the death. I think over the 90 min­utes we de­served to win the game, but we lost.

“Other re­sults went our way, we’ve chalked an­other game off and we’re an­other step closer to pro­mo­tion.

“I’m proud of the record and I am pleased for the group. It is great for the group to have that record. I am for­tu­nate to have a fan­tas­tic group to work with and hope­fully we can man­age that with pro­mo­tion and I am con­fi­dent we can.”

Af­ter a tepid first-half, in which nei­ther side were able to pro­duce an end prod­uct to some en­ter­pris­ing spells of pos­ses­sion, Scun­thorpe went ahead in the 62nd minute, when Paddy Mad­den stuck out a leg to di­vert Ha­keeb Ade­lakun’s shot from out­side the box in­side the near post.

The lead lasted just five min­utes, but af­ter Tom Soares had headed the Shak­ers level from Andrew Tutte’s free-kick, the hosts re­gained the ini­tia­tive, af­ter Danny Mayor had scythed down Terry Hawkridge in the penalty area. Paul Hayes’ 76th minute spot kick was blocked away by the im­pos­ing fig­ure of vet­eran keeper Brian Jensen, the goalie they nick­name ‘the Beast’. But Hayes main­tained his fo­cus to fin­ish from the re­bound.

When Slo­combe dis­played his abil­ity and plucked a shot from Shak­ers sub­sti­tute Andy Proc­ter out of the bot­tom cor­ner just min­utes af­ter the mid­fielder had en­tered the field, it looked like Scun­thorpe had es­caped with all three points be­fore Rose struck.

Bury boss David Fl­itcroft said:“The test for me all this week has been about how far we’ve come and where we’re at in terms of the jour­ney.

“There’s only Ch­ester­field that have been able to beat us and that’s im­por­tant. I be­lieve we de­served to win this match with chances cre­ated and our dom­i­nance. “The lads put an in­cred­i­ble shift in and I was de­lighted with

a lot of as­pects of our play.”

PIC­TURES: Me­dia Im­age Ltd

MOB RULE: Bury’s Danny Rose is em­braced by his team mates and the trav­el­ling sup­port­ers af­ter his late strike earns Bury a 2-2 draw

FOOT IN: Paddy Mad­den bat­tles Bury's Pablo Mills


IDGE Scunth


Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.