Blame me says sorry Wil­son

The Football League Paper - - CHAM­PI­ONSHIP - By Matthew Mur­ray

BARNS­LEY boss Danny Wil­son re­fused to point fin­gers af­ter the Tykes wrapped up their ill-fated Cham­pi­onship cam­paign with an­other de­feat at QPR.

This loss at home was their 25th of a dire sea­son, the joint-worst along with Yeovil who were the only team to fin­ish be­low them in the ta­ble.

Wil­son is ex­pect­ing a huge over­haul of his squad in the sum­mer and the club this week an­nounced they would try and sign up to 20 play­ers.

But the 54-year-old, who took charge for a sec­ond spell in De­cem­ber, ac­cepts the buck stops with him.

“I am not go­ing to blame any­body else,”Wil­son said.

“I was at the helm. It’s down to me, no­body else. Peo­ple might blame some­one else and say it’s not my fault. But it is my fault. I’m the man­ager of the foot­ball club. Whether they were bot­tom of the league when I took over or not doesn’t mat­ter.

“I’m hope­fully go­ing to rec­tify it next year and bring a bit of pride back to the foot­ball club.”

QPR, al­ready guar­an­teed a place in the play-offs prior to kick-off, had the game’s first chance – Kevin Doyle drag­ging his left-footed chance wide from 20 yards out af­ter two min­utes.

Barns­ley top scorer Chris O’Grady had the home side’s first glance at goal, but his firm strike from the edge of the box was pushed wide by Robert Green.

Rangers took the lead on 42 min­utes when dan­ger­man Char­lie Austin found him­self un­marked in the box af­ter a fine pass by Yossi Be­nay­oun. Austin made no mis­take to eas­ily slot past the help­less Luke Steele for his 100th pro­fes­sional goal.

A minute later it was 2-0 and game over for Barns­ley. Doyle’s dan­ger­ous cross seemed to miss ev­ery­one ex­cept Tykes cen­tre-half JeanYves M’voto, who de­flected the ball past Steele and into his own net.

Af­ter the break, Barns­ley pulled one back through O’Grady on 54 min­utes, the striker beat­ing Ne­dum On­uoha in the air af­ter Dale Jen­nings’ in­swing­ing cross.

A few min­utes later, Jen­nings al­most turned from provider to scorer when his au­da­cious vol­ley from 35 yards looked to trou­ble Green, but the keeper re­cov­ered and man­aged to cling onto the ball.

The Tykes con­tin­ued to push for an equaliser, Peter Ra­m­age’s header from Tom Kennedy’s deep cor­ner be­ing tipped over by Green.

But the hosts put the re­sult to bed on 68 min­utes, Korean full­back Suk-Young Yun col­lect­ing the ball on the half­way line and beat­ing three Barns­ley de­fend­ers be­fore blast­ing the ball home.

O’Grady grabbed a late sec­ond for the Tykes in the 90th minute but there was to be no late lev­eller.

QPR will now face Wigan in the play-offs and as­sis­tant Kevin Bond is con­fi­dent, say­ing:“I al­ways felt once we took the lead we’d hold them off and then we did.

“They got back into it late but I al­ways felt we were hold­ing them to be truth­ful.

“It doesn’t mat­ter who we play in the play-offs. We des­per­ately want to get back. It will be dif­fi­cult against Wigan, they are look­ing to bounce back like we are and I ex­pect a tight con­test.

“If we can get pro­moted this sea­son in any shape or form it’ll be an amaz­ing achieve­ment.”

PIC­TURES: Me­dia Im­age Ltd

DAM­AG­ING: QPR’s Char­lie Austin watches as Barns­ley’s Jean-Yves M’voto de­flects a cross into his own net

HOPE: Chris O’Grady scores for Barns­ley

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.