The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE TWO - By Andy Cooke To com­ment on this match go to http://boards. footy­mad.net/

YORK go into the League Two play-offs with their un­beaten run still in­tact

after claim­ing a point at pro­moted Scun­thorpe – boss Nigel Wor­thing­ton adamant that’s the least they de­served.

The Iron seemed on course for the ti­tle five min­utes be­fore half-time when they led via goals from Paddy Mad­den and Terry Hawkridge.

But Ryan Brobbel fired in from 20 yards in first-half stop­page time and Calvin An­drew later cel­e­brated a close-range equaliser as the Min­ster­men made it 17 games with­out de­feat to book a play-off meet­ing with Fleet­wood; Ch­ester­field even­tu­ally se­cur­ing the ti­tle.

“We only had our­selves to blame for be­ing be­hind.We were off the pace first half but we came through,” said Wor­thing­ton.

“After the break we were pos­i­tive with the ball, kept it sim­ple and got what we de­served at the end of the game. Fleet­wood, Southend, Bur­ton – who­ever we got in the play-offs we have to play them. We’ve got Fleet­wood and the prepa­ra­tion starts now. We’ll make sure we are ready for next week. More im­por­tantly though, this point keeps the con­fi­dence go­ing.”

The form team in the di­vi­sion after Scun­thorpe had lost their 28match un­beaten run the pre­vi­ous week, York’s own spell of games with­out a loss looked se­ri­ously un­der threat early on.

The Iron went ahead in the 19th minute when Ed­die Nolan whipped the ball in left-footed and Mad­den nipped in at the near post to glance home a header.

After Adam Reed had been de­nied a quick equaliser by the alert­ness of keeper Sam Slo- combe, the home side went fur­ther ahead via Hawkridge’s su­perb solo strike. He drew his de­fender after rac­ing clear into the box and then fired home.

Scun­thorpe were cruis­ing yet cru­cially they were pegged back be­fore the break when Brobbel worked the ball onto his right foot and curled it into the top cor­ner.

The Min­ster­men were miles bet­ter after the break. Full­back Lanre Oye­banjo fired wide after a bril­liant charge up­field. Reed did like­wise as he ghosted in to meet a lovely squeezed pass by Michael Coul­son.

In the 71st minute they did draw level as Will Hay­hurst fired goal­wards and the ball de­flected home off An­drew. And Scun­thorpe boss Russ Wil­cox, who has lost just one of his 30 games in charge fol­low­ing his ar­rival as man­ager in Novem­ber, said:“It would have been great to go and win the league but with Ch­ester­field win­ning we couldn’t have done it any­way.

“At half-time we knew the scores and that we were top – we just couldn’t quite man­age that sec­ond pe­riod.

“The goal just be­fore half-time was the key goal.You can see why York are where they are – 17 games un­beaten and in a play-off spot. They work so hard. They went 4-3-3 and went for it – we found it dif­fi­cult to get a foothold but we’re de­lighted to be back in League One.”

PIC­TURES: Ac­tion Images

COME­BACK: Ryan Brobbel nets York’s first in their fight­back STAR MAN TERRY HAWKR

IDGE Scunth

orpe HEADS I WIN: Paddy Mad­den opens the scor­ing for Scun­thorpe

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.