Rud­der­less Cum­bri­ans buried by Shak­ers

The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE TWO - By Matt Hill

BOSS David Fl­itcroft says the way Craig Jones put a first half from hell be­hind him to help Bury to an em­phatic vic­tory at man­ager-less Carlisle was tes­ta­ment to his character.

Jones’ strike was sand­wiched be­tween sec­ond-half goals from Danny Rose and Ryan Lowe but it ap­peared at one point that the mid­fielder would be play­ing the vil­lain after miss­ing a host of early chances.

And Fl­itcroft said:“He should’ve had a hat-trick but his brav­ery to keep get­ting in and threat­en­ing the back­line was phe­nom­e­nal.

“He could’ve dropped his head but he kept go­ing. On the goal I thought he might have ca­ressed it but he just stuck his head down and smashed it, which was fair play to him.

“From start to fin­ish I thought we were struc­turally su­perb. I wouldn’t have been em­bar­rassed if it was five or six be­cause we were bril­liant.”

The Shak­ers should have been ahead inside four min­utes, after Danny Mayor beat Carlisle full­back David Syming­ton and picked out Jones. How­ever the Bury wide­man could only blaze over from six yards.

Jones found him­self in be­hind the Carlisle de­fence again after 15 min­utes, latch­ing onto a Kelvin Etuhu through ball, this time flash­ing a first­time vol­ley well wide of the far post.

Carlisle’s best early op­por­tu­nity came when Stephen El­liott broke free on the left side but his pull back was just out of the reach of Kyle Dempsey.

It looked like Jones’ mo­ment had fi­nally come on the stroke of half-time when Carlisle keeper Mark Gille­spie tipped a Nicky Adams shot into his path but once again he fluffed his lines, smash­ing wide from three yards.

How­ever the vis­i­tors did get the break­through early in the sec­ond half. Adams floated a cross which looked to be down the throat of Gille­spie, but the Cum­bri­ans’ keeper was beaten to the ball by striker Rose, who calmly nod­ded into the empty net.

The Shak­ers soon dou­bled their lead, when a se­ries of quick passes found Jones on the edge of the Carlisle box. Fourth time lucky for the mid­fielder, he took a touch be­fore bury­ing the ball home. Carlisle never looked like forc­ing a come­back, and sub­sti­tute Lowe com­pleted the rout.

Carlisle care­taker boss Paul Thirl­well was dis­ap­pointed with his side’s at­ti­tude after fall­ing be­hind. He said:“I thought once their goal went in our heads dropped and that has been a bit of a fea­ture th­ese last 18 months or so.

“The team is young but a lot of th­ese play­ers have 50 or 60 ap­pear­ances be­hind them. They need to start show­ing a bet­ter men­tal­ity in th­ese sit­u­a­tions.”



Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.