Hand ball rum­pus puts Cook in a mood

The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE TWO - By Ed Lang­ford

MANS­FIELD first team coach Micky Moore blamed poor ref­er­ee­ing for the Stags de­feat at Adams Park yes­ter­day, de­spite the vis­i­tors tak­ing an early lead.

Matt Rhead headed home after just four min­utes but a tight hand­ball call near the edge of the area gifted Paul Hayes a penalty be­fore Peter Murphy stole all three points in the sec­ond half.

Stags boss Paul Cox was sent to the stands in in­jury time and Moore said the man­ager was too emotionally-charged to carry out his post-match du­ties.

“Paul’s emo­tions were high after the de­feat, and more at the de­ci­sions than the play­ers it has to be said,” said Moore.

“He was frus­trated that we were los­ing at the end, he’s kicked a wa­ter bot­tle and the ref­eree has sent him off. It wasn’t aimed at him so I don’t un­der­stand that one.

“The penalty was con­tro­ver­sial. We didn’t think it was even hand­ball let alone that it was three or four yards out­side the box. To get de­ci­sions like that is re­ally frus­trat­ing.

“The re­ac­tion from not just our play­ers and bench but theirs too shows that it was prob­a­bly a wrong one.”

De­spite the de­feat Mans­field were by far the bet­ter side early on and Rak­ish Bing­ham twice tested Matt In­gram in the open­ing ex­changes.

But the trav­el­ling support didn’t have to wait long for the opener as Rhead met Adam Mur­ray’s fourth-minute cor­ner to head home un­chal­lenged.

Wy­combe, look­ing for the first goal in three, were back level on the half-hour mark when Hayes tucked his penalty away after Martin Ri­ley was ad­judged to have han­dled in the area.

That sparked the home side into life but they had to wait un­til late to se­cure the win.

Murphy con­verted from close-range after Hayes’ de­light­ful cush­ioned header went across goal.

Wy­combe boss Gareth Ainsworth was de­lighted with the turn­around in per­for­mance after a poor open­ing.

And he pointed specif­i­cally to the young cen­tre-half pair­ing of Al­fie Maw­son and Aaron Pierre. “It’s great to see a young side learn from that ex­pe­ri­ence and solve the prob­lems in the 90 min­utes,” said Ainsworth.

“Maw­son and Pierre at the back were to­gether in Brent­ford’s youth team two and half years ago so they’ve done great to be per­form­ing like this in our first team.

“The dis­ap­point­ing thing for me was that first 20 min­utes.

“We were out-fought and out-played dur­ing that pe­riod.

“It’s great to turn it around but I had to re­mind the boys how poor they were at the start dur­ing half-time.”



Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.