The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE TWO - By Nick Lough­lin

JIMMY FLOYD-HAS­SEL­BAINK made a ca­reer out of scor­ing goals. Now as a man­ager he’s do­ing the same. Tak­ing charge at Bur­ton, he en­gi­neered their big­gest home vic­tory in almost four years, as they thumped a des­per­ate Hartle­pool United side, who were watched by prospec­tive new boss Ron­nie Moore.

It took 44 min­utes for the Brew­ers to make their break­through, and they cracked in three more early in the sec­ond pe­riod to fin­ish the game off.

Alex MacDon­ald scored twice, Shane Cand­sell-Sher­riff and Stu­art Beavon got the oth­ers.

“I’m happy for the team and we keep on go­ing. It was good for Shane to score he has been get­ting into good po­si­tions and it worked,’’ beamed Has­sel­baink.

“Goals from de­fend­ers are im­por­tant, but he also kept a clean­sheet.You have to fin­ish the game pro­fes­sion­ally and not get into bad habits.

“We are a side play­ing with con­fi­dence. We scored four and could have had more.

“We want to score goals, play at­tack­ing foot­ball if we can. It’s good to see us score four goals.

“It took a while to break through. Hartle­pool have lost their man­ager and the care­taker man­ager has them or­gan­ised and made them hard to beat.

“The tempo was too low, not high enough, but I must say our tempo and fo­cus needed to be harder.We scored at a beau­ti­ful time, right be­fore half-time.

“My mind­set didn’t change, but it changed men­tally for the play­ers. At one-nil do you sit back or keep go­ing for more and we did that. We looked good at stages and were in con­trol.’’

The first-half was a fairly even game, with Pools – cut adrift at the foot of the di­vi­sion by six points –hold­ing firm.

Pools’ on-loan mid­fielder Matty Dolan went close with a clipped free-kick, but nei­ther keeper was worked or stretched.

But, on half-time, Pools failed to deal with a cross and de­fender Matthew Bates col­lided with Jor­dan Richards. The ball fell for MacDon­ald, who curled in a shot.

Then it took only 22 seconds for the sec­ond goal at the start of the sec­ond half to ar­rive, MacDon­ald fin­ish­ing well after the ball was knocked down by striker Ja­cob Blyth.

Con­fi­dence shat­tered, Pools con­ceded a third when Cand­sell-Sher­riff nod­ded in.

And the Brew­ers smashed in a fourth, Beavon cracking in after be­ing given the free­dom of the penalty area.

Pools’ care­taker boss Sam Collins said:“It’s so frus­trat­ing. We were strong and the last thing we wanted to hap­pen as half-time came was to con­cede.We lost the ball on the edge of our box when we didn’t need to. “Right on half-time, and we go in one­down.We gave them the same mes­sage, work hard, stay in the game and some of the staff haven’t even come out of the dress­ing room and it’s two.

“We con­cede from a set-piece and then put no pres­sure on the ball. “We have pre­pared well, gave them ev­ery piece of in­for­ma­tion they need.You can­not leg­is­late for what hap­pened.”

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.