The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE ONE - By Richard Gar­nett

BRIS­TOL City man­ager Steve Cot­ter­ill de­scribed Derrick Wil­liams’ send­ing off as stupid and lazy as the league lead­ers crashed to sur­prise de­feat against bot­tom-club Crewe Alexan­dra.

City were re­duced to ten men when Wil­liams re­ceived his sec­ond yel­low card four min­utes after the in­ter­val for a chal­lenge on Uche Ik­peazu.

It was to prove costly as Crewe fi­nally made the break­through with 16 min­utes re­main­ing when Jamie Ness thumped a vi­cious 25yard strike past the out­stretched Frank Field­ing.

Cot­ter­ill said: “He prob­a­bly de­served to be sent off. It was a stupid lunge from him, go­ing to ground after he’d al­ready been booked.

“It was a game we ab­so­lutely dom­i­nated, even with ten men, and it was ob­vi­ous the ref­eree was go­ing to do that – he was pedan­tic right from the off. If he sends Derrick Wil­liams off he should send Ik­peazu off as well. He’s fouled per­sis­tently all af­ter­noon.

“We cre­ated some great chances but when we are on top of games we’ve got to take them and that’s what we didn’t do. Oth­er­wise we would have buried them.”

The vis­i­tors started the brighter with the in­dus­tri­ous Luke Free­man flash­ing a shot wide after just three min­utes.

Aaron Wil­bra­ham seemed cer­tain to give City the lead on the half-hour mark, but with the goal at his mercy Crewe de­fender George Ray hero­ically cleared the dan­ger from two yards out.

Mo­ments into the sec­ond half Free­man came close to giv­ing the vis­i­tors the lead, but his left foot shot skipped just wide of Gar­ratt’s far post be­fore Wil­liams re­ceived his march­ing or­ders a few min­utes later. Almost im­me­di­ately space opened up on the pitch for the home side with Nicky Ajose bend­ing a 25-yard ef­fort just past the right hand post.

De­spite sur­ren­der­ing mo­men­tum, City showed why they are top of League One – ex­ud­ing more qual­ity on the ball with Free­man the cat­a­lyst through­out.

But Crewe fi­nally made the break­through with 16 min­utes re­main­ing with Ness’ screamer prov­ing to be the only clin­i­cal fin­ish of the game.

Af­ter­wards, Steve Davis praised the at­ti­tude of his young side.

He said: “If we can re­lay that same type of per­for­mance and ef­fort and ev­ery­thing else that we got here from ev­ery­one I think we’ll have a bet­ter sec­ond half to the sea­son.

“We had about five or six 18-year-olds in that squad and that’s what we do and that’s how we’ll con­tinue to do it if we can play with that level of com­mit­ment and spirit. They’re fight­ing for each other.”

The Rail­way­men’s man­ager re­served some spe­cial praise for veteran de­fender Alan Tate, who’s loan pe­riod at Gresty Road is ex­pected to have now come to an end as he heads back to Swansea. He added:“What he gives us is a man­ager on the pitch, and with a young team, we lack lead­ers on the pitch. He’s been mag­nif­i­cent.”

PIC­TURES: Pin­na­cle

UN­LUCKY: Bris­tol City’s Aaron Wil­bra­ham fires a shot on goal MATCH WIN­NER: Jamie Ness of Crewe (far left) scores for Crewe

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.