The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE ONE - By Stephen Thirkill

LEAM Richard­son in­sists he never pan­icked de­spite Ch­ester­field leav­ing it late to sal­vage a point against Don­caster.

Rovers raced into a 2-0 lead in­side the first ten min­utes with goals from James Cop­pinger and Andy But­ler.

But Jimmy Ryan’s 87th minute goal res­cued a vi­tal point for Paul Cook’s pro­mo­tion-chasers af­ter Eng­land’s lead­ing goalscorer Eoin Doyle had pulled a goal back.

As­sis­tant manager Richard­son said: “Even when we were 2-0 down we be­lieved we could get some­thing from the game be­cause of the qual­ity we have up top.

“Tommy Lee made two ex­cel­lent saves to keep us in it. We worked very hard and got our re­wards for that.

“The two goals that we con­ceded were poor and that is some­thing we will work on in the week. There are al­ways ar­eas we can im­prove in and we will look to do that.

“It was al­ways go­ing to be com­pet­i­tive with it be­ing a derby.

“I think it was a fair re­sult and a point that will be very im­por­tant to us.”

But Rovers boss Paul Dickov was left frus­trated by his side’s in­abil­ity to con­vert a num­ber of good sec­ond-half chances.

“It is dis­ap­point­ing to have con­ceded the goal late on,” he said. “We wanted to start fast and we made a great start, but for the last ten, 15 min­utes of the first half we played like we were hang­ing on.

“We have had more than enough chances to put the game away. Their goal­keeper has made some good saves and if we had taken one of those chances we would have won.

“Ch­ester­field are one of the best teams in this di­vi­sion and are in the top six for a rea­son. This was al­ways go­ing to be a tough game.”

Don­caster took the lead af­ter three min­utes when Cop­pinger smashed home his sixth of the sea­son af­ter Luke McCul­lough’s through­ball carved open Ch­ester­field’s de­fence.

The vis­i­tors dou­bled their lead six min­utes later when Andy But­ler rose well to nod home Harry For­rester’s cor­ner.

Sam Morsy went close from dis­tance, be­fore Jay O’Shea fired Sam Clu­cas’ fizzing low cross over on 37 min­utes.

Stephen By­wa­ter tipped away Ian Evatt’s bul­let header four min­utes later as Ch­ester­field en­joyed a good spell. And the pres­sure fi­nally paid off when Doyle con­trolled Morsy’s cross be­fore fir­ing home his 25th goal of the sea­son on 43 min­utes.

Lee kept his side in the game when he de­nied Harry Main on 52 min­utes and then debu­tant Uche Ik­peazu on 58 min­utes in one-on-ones. Ik­peazu then cracked a curl­ing ef­fort against the post two min­utes later as Don­caster looked to wrap up the points.

They proved to be very costly misses when Doyle headed Sam Hird’s cross into the path of Ryan who fired into an empty net on 87 min­utes to level.

HANDY: An­drew But­ler (left) heads Don­caster into a 2-0 lead

PIC­TURES: Me­dia Im­age Ltd

JUST IN TIME: Jimmy Ryan heads Ch­ester­field level late in the game

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.