The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE TWO - By Sam Gas­coyne

JIMMY Floyd Has­sel­baink hailed his hard­work­ing Bur­ton Al­bion side as they climbed to sec­ond in the League Two ta­ble af­ter record­ing a con­vinc­ing 1-0 win over fel­low pro­mo­tion chasers Bury.

The Dutch­man watched the Brew­ers stretch their un­beaten run to nine games in a match they dom­i­nated, de­spite the nar­row mar­gin of victory.

De­fender Phil Ed­wards scored the only goal of the game in the sec­ond half to en­sure Has­sel­baink’s side were kept off the top on goal dif­fer­ence only.

“I thought we were re­ally good in the first half, we looked danger­ous and had a lot of chances on goal,” said Has­sel­baink.

“The sec­ond half Bury came out and made it dif­fi­cult for us, but we coped with it and stood firm. We were very solid and gave noth­ing away. Over­all, it was a well de­served win.”

Has­sel­baink’s in-form Brew­ers took com­plete con­trol of the open­ing min­utes re­fus­ing to give Bury and inch of space as they con­fi­dently dic­tated the pace of the game.

Bur­ton threat­ened to find the open­ing goal of the game early on af­ter Ja­cob Blyth smashed a left footed shot just wide in the sec­ond minute.

The home side piled the pres­sure on and only min­utes later Stu­art Beavon knocked the ball down nicely for Blyth, who saw his well driven shot wide.

Bury even­tu­ally set­tled into the game as Tom Soares saw his first shot of the game dealt with well by Jon McLaugh­lin, and at the other end Lu­cas Akins, who had been caus­ing all sorts of prob­lems for Bury, saw sev­eral at­tempts in quick suc­ces­sion can­celled out.

Bur­ton were al­most gifted an opener af­ter on-loan keeper Nick Pope made hash of a clear­ance which fell kindly to the feet of Beavon, although skip­per Nathan Cameron cut out any threat of an opener as he launched the ball to safety.

De­spite Bur­ton’s dom­i­nance, the two sides saw out the rest of the first half at a stale­mate.

Bury came out with real in­tent af­ter the break as they pushed for­ward in search of an opener.

The hosts again man­aged take a hold of the game and took the lead af­ter de­fender Ed­wards got on the end of Beavon’s neat flick-on from a fierce set-piece.

Chances proved to be few and far be­tween as Bur­ton man­aged to shut out their vis­i­tors, although Bury al­most grabbed a late equaliser through Daniel Nardiel- lo’s header forc­ing a su­perb last ditch save.

“It was a nearly per­for­mance for us, it never re­ally took off the way we planned it,” said dis­ap­pointed Bury boss David Fl­itcroft. “We knew we’d be in for a real tough battle be­cause Bur­ton are re­silient, or­gan­ised and a well struc­tured side.

“They were dif­fi­cult to break down and there was just a lack of qual­ity about our at­tack­ing per­for­mance to­day.

“I’m also dis­ap­pointed with our de­fend­ing for their goal. We let them have free space in the box and it re­sulted in their match-win­ning goal. They man­aged to slog this game out bet­ter than we could to­day.”

PIC­TURES: Me­dia Im­age Ltd

ED BOY: Phil Ed­wards cel­e­brates scor­ing the only goal for Bur­ton STAR MAN ROB­BIE WEIR Bur­ton

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.