The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE TWO - By Mike Sim­monds

CAM­BRIDGE boss Richard Money claims his side can use their de­feat against Lu­ton as in­spi­ra­tion for the rest of the sea­son.

The U’s chief saw his side trail­ing 3-0 at half-time, be­fore they al­most snatched an un­likely draw cour­tesy of sec­ond half goals from Johnny Hunt and Rob­bie Simp­son.

But rather than un­leash the hairdryer, Money – whose side travel to Manch­ester United in their FA Cup re­play on Tues­day – was con­tent with the way Cam­bridge ral­lied.

Money said:“I thought it was an in­cred­i­bly good game and I said to them: ‘some­times you grow as a team in ad­ver­sity’.

“The sec­ond-half per­for­mance will en­able us to grow in the fu­ture, be­cause you need to see what you’re like when you’re un­der that pres­sure and try­ing to come back from that score­line against one of the best teams in the league.

“For 65 min­utes of the game we were ex­cel­lent, but the game was lost in that 25-minute pe­riod where we lost a goal out of noth­ing, hav­ing hit the bar and missed two good op­por­tu­ni­ties to go in front.

“Then you con­cede a sec­ond goal from a cor­ner which is poor and not like us, but in those mo­ments you have to re­group quickly and stay in the game, but we con­ceded a third too.”

The vis­i­tors had started well in front of over 10,000 at Ke­nil­worth Road as Tom El­liott thun­dered a header against the bar and Ryan Don­ald­son screwed wide.

How­ever, Lu­ton went ahead on 19 min­utes when Jake How­ells’ shot drew a sharp re­ac­tion stop by Chris Dunn, only for Andy Drury to vol­ley in the re­bound.

It was 2-0 mo­ments af­ter the half-hour mark too as Drury swung over a cor­ner and Luke Wilkin­son leapt high­est to nod into the roof of the net.

Lu­ton looked to have sewn the points up on the stroke of half-time when Jonathan Smith’s shot went straight through Dunn and into the net.

How­ever, af­ter Jay­den Stockley volleyed wide from 25 yards for Lu­ton early in the sec­ond pe­riod, they were forced on the back foot.

Cam­bridge mounted attack af­ter attack and fi­nally pulled one back on 69 min­utes when Cameron McGee­han teed up the on­rush­ing Hunt and he placed a mea­sured fin­ish into the cor­ner.

The U’s screamed for a penalty when the ball ap­peared to strike How­ells’ arm, but with five min­utes re­main­ing, Simp­son gath­ered a long ball to swivel and fin­ish be­yond Mark Tyler.

McGee­han then al­most scored an un­likely equaliser against his for­mer club, only for Tyler to nick the ball off his toes in stop­page time as Lu­ton held on.

Town first team coach Hakan Hayret­tin said:“First half we were out­stand­ing, pressed re­ally high and 3-0 was a great half time score for us.

“But we em­pha­sised the need to carry on what we were do­ing, so fair play to them, they threw cau­tion to the wind, took the bull by the horns and gave it a go.

“They had noth­ing to lose, but the pleas­ing thing for us was we worked hard to get the re­sult. They’re three fan­tas­tic points too as when­ever we play Cam­bridge it’s al­ways a close en­counter.”

PIC­TURES: Gareth Owen



HAN Cambr

idge GLANCE: Luke Wilkin­son flicks in Lu­ton’s sec­ond goal

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.