The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE TWO - By Jack Austin

MANAGER Gareth Ainsworth blamed the con­di­tions at Adams Park as Wy­combe Wan­der­ers slipped to third in League Two af­ter strug­gling Portsmouth held them to a third draw in a row.

Pom­pey had the best of the early ex­changes with striker Matt Tubbs caus­ing the Chair­boys de­fence prob­lems through­out the first half.

The best chance of the game came through Wy­combe left-back Joe Ja­cob­son, who saw his shot can­non off the cross­bar as the game died out in the sec­ond half.

And Ainsworth felt both sides de­served a point.

“The re­sult was a fair re­flec­tion,” he said. “Portsmouth dom­i­nated the first half with the wind and the sec­ond half we dom­i­nated them.

“It re­ally was a game of two halves. We al­most had it, we hit the cross­bar but I think 0-0 was a fair re­sult in the end.

“If you watch the goal­keeper kicks, they’re not reach­ing half­way in the first half, it re­ally was blus­tery out there but I want to give credit to Portsmouth.

“They came, they had a plan and they sti­fled us and teams are go­ing to do that when they come here.

“I’m re­ally pleased with the clean sheet, I think that is six clean sheets in seven games, so that re­ally is some­thing to be proud of but we need to find the net at the other end now.” It was a scrappy start and you could have been for­given for con­fus­ing Wy­combe for the team who are strug­gling in the league as Portsmouth dom­i­nated pos­ses­sion.

Tubbs, who scored 12 goals for AFC Wim­ble­don be­fore sign­ing on a free in Jan­uary, was twice de­nied his first Pom­pey goal , first by Matt In­gram and then Ja­cob­son.

A rare foray into the Pom­pey half for the Chair­boys came af­ter 35 min­utes as Sam Wood headed a Peter Mur­phy cross wide of the post.

Wy­combe came the clos­est to scor­ing two min­utes be­fore the break as Mur­phy cut the ball clev­erly back be­fore Ja­cob­son, who has played ev­ery game so far this sea­son, thun­dered a shot against the cross­bar.

How­ever, the away side be­gan to tire and al­lowed the Chair­boys to get a foothold in the game and they nearly took full ad­van­tage af­ter Fred Onyed­inma turned Ja­cob­son’s cross inches wide.

The game fizzed out in the sec­ond half as the pitch be­gan to cut up and both teams strug­gled to carve out any clear-cut chances, but Portsmouth manager Andy Aw­ford rued his side’s profli­gacy.

“We de­served a point,” Aw­ford said. “It was a very good per­for­mance again.

“We have drawn three out of five games now and I think we could have won all three of them.

“The per­for­mance level was fan­tas­tic and we should have been in front at half time.

“We had eight clear cut chances and re­ally we should have taken one of them.”

PIC­TURES: UK Sports Pics

PATH CLOSED: James Dunne of Portsmouth stops Peter Mur­phy of Wy­combe STAR MAN BEN


outh Portsm

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.