The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE TWO - By Sam Con­way

TEN-MAN Cam­bridge were brought back down to earth af­ter their Old Traf­ford ex­pe­ri­ence with de­feat at home to high-fly­ing Wy­combe – and manager Richard Money ad­mit­ted his play­ers only had them­selves to blame.

Ho­gan Ephraim’s free-kick sep­a­rated the two sides be­fore Cam­bridge’s Cameron McGee­han was sent off a minute later. The Nor­wich loa­nee, play­ing his last game for Cam­bridge, saw red af­ter kick­ing out at vis­it­ing goal­keeper Matt In­gram.

And Cam­bridge boss Money in­sisted his side’s fail­ure to main­tain dis­ci­pline cost them dearly.

“The ill-dis­ci­pline has cost us and it’s frus­trat­ing,” said Money. “It’s a poor foul from Nel­son and we didn’t de­fend the free-kick well enough. We lost a goal through our own poor play.

“Then McGee­han’s flicked a shoelace at the goal­keeper.The red card is un­der­stand­able, but the re­ac­tion of the keeper was ap­palling.

“The game has been de­cided by those two min­utes and we’ve come off the pitch as losers when we de­served some­thing from the game.

“I can’t fault the ef­fort with ten men. We cre­ated two or three good op­por­tu­ni­ties, but I think to ex­pect peo­ple to drive for­ward with ten men is ask­ing a lot.”

Wan­der­ers ar­rived with the best away record in League Two, hav­ing only lost once on the road all sea­son. And they started strong­est at the Abbey Sta­dium.

For­mer New­port striker Aaron Holloway had the best chance of the first half on 29 min­utes when his free header from Ephraim’s cross drifted nar­rowly wide.

Mo­ments later, Cam­bridge’s Rob­bie Simp­son saw his shot tipped onto the post by In­gram.

Nine min­utes into the sec­ond half and the vis­i­tors broke the dead­lock. Ephraim’s free-kick on the edge of the area was missed by ev­ery­one and nes­tled into the cor­ner for his first goal for the club. And things went from bad to worse for the U’s just a minute later when they were re­duced to ten men.

While lining up for a cor­ner, McGee­han kicked out at In­gram and was given a straight red.

Money brought on strik­ers Sul­lay Kaikai and debu­tant Jor­dan Slew as Cam­bridge pushed for an equaliser. The two com­bined as Kaikai’s cross was met by Slew, who dragged his shot wide with the goal at his mercy.

But Wy­combe stood firm to stretch their un­beaten run to 12 games, much to the joy of boss Gareth Ainsworth.

“I thought we man­aged a pro­fes­sional per­for­mance in the sec­ond half,” said Ainsworth.

“We kept the ball well. Cam­bridge are a big strong side. We’ve got some good qual­ity in the team. I thought we kept pos­ses­sion of the ball very well.

“It was a fan­tas­tic ball from Ho­gan Ephraim. He’s a player with some great qual­ity. He’s just put it in the area with a lit­tle thought that if no­body touches it, this could go in. You see them week-in, week­out.

“Ap­par­ently the boy McGee­han kicked out at our keeper and if you do that in the box, you’re ask­ing for trou­ble.”

PIC­TURES: Andy Row­land/UK Sports Pics Ltd

SUR­ROUNDED: Wy­combe cel­e­brate Ho­gan Ephraim’s goal. Be­low: Dunn can’t stop Ephraim’s shot find­ing the net

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.