The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE ONE - By Ricky Charlesworth

LEY­TON Ori­ent manager Fabio Liverani says his side’s victory at Ch­ester­field shows they are all in it to­gether.

The Ital­ian watched his team pick up a cru­cial three points in their rel­e­ga­tion battle as they came from be­hind twice at the Proact Sta­dium.

Dean Cox bun­dled home the win­ner 11 min­utes into stop­page time as Ori­ent moved off the bot­tom and put a dent in Ch­ester­field’s play-off hopes.

And Liverani be­lieves the victory was cru­cial, given the lat­est ru­mours of un­rest at Bris­bane Road.

“I’m very proud and pleased with the per­for­mance,” said Liverani.

“I’ve been in foot­ball for 20 years so I know the busi­ness well.

“It seems prob­lems only come out when things don’t go well. When you’re top of the league, prob­lems don’t ex­ist.

“I’m pleased and happy with my play­ers.

“The re­sult was good and psy­cho­log­i­cally, it’s im­por­tant be­cause so far ev­ery sit­u­a­tion we’ve had, although they were 50-50s, they weren’t go­ing for us.

“De­ci­sions were fi­nally on our side. At first it seemed that ev­ery­thing was go­ing against us, but the last-minute goal we scored was the ic­ing on the cake.

“Hope­fully it gives our play­ers the con­fi­dence to con­tinue like this and boost their spirit.”

The game only sparked into life af­ter 18 min­utes when the hosts were awarded a penalty af­ter Nathan Clarke clum­sily bun­dled over Caolan Lav­ery in the box. Jay O’Shea stepped up to give Ch­ester­field the lead.

In­stead of push­ing on af­ter the opener, the hosts in­stead sat back and in­vited pres­sure which re­sulted in Ori­ent drawing level.

Cox broke free and with Spire­ites stop­per Lee off his line, the mid­fielder squared the ball to David Mooney who tapped into the empty net.

The hosts then re­gained the lead in the sec­ond half when El­liot Omozusi put into his own net un­der pres­sure at the far-post, but Ori­ent again lev­elled when Mooney smashed home.

There was eight min­utes added on to the end of the game and it was Ori­ent who sen­sa­tion­ally won it with vir­tu­ally the last ac­tion of the game.

A ball into the box was spilled by Lee and Cox was on hand to plun­der in.

Spire­ites boss Paul Cook said: “Foot­ball’s like that, that’s the game.

“We’ve had a good early part of the sea­son, so we’re re­ally dis­ap­pointed.

“It wasn't one of our bet­ter per­for­mances. We never re­ally got go­ing.

“At the minute we’re just not func­tion­ing as well as we have been in the past. I thought at 2-1 up we might get home, but we didn’t.

“That’s foot­ball though and we’ve got to pick our­selves up for Tues­day at Scun­thorpe now. “We’ve got to re­group. There’s no ex­cuses but th­ese lads haven’t let us down very of­ten and we have to re­mem­ber that.”

PIC­TURES: Me­dia Im­age Ltd

LAST-GASP: Dean Cox scored Ori­ent’s win­ner in the 11th minute of added time

ON THE SPOT: Jay O’Shea scores his first-half penalty


Y Ley­ton


Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.