The Football League Paper - - CHAMPIONSHIP - By Colin Hen­rys

DE­FENCES came out on top at Hud­der­s­field as the hosts strug­gled to find a way through Cardiff’s dogged back line and Ter­ri­ers’ boss Chris Pow­ell ad­mit­ted it was a frus­trat­ing day.

Alex Smithies and David Mar­shall both pulled off smart first-half saves in a game which was oth­er­wise short of chances at ei­ther end.

And Pow­ell con­fessed his side had lacked the at­tack­ing edge which could have been the dif­fer­ence be­tween tak­ing one point and three.

“It’s an­other point to our tally and ob­vi­ously we would have liked more but we just didn’t cre­ate enough in the fi­nal third,” he said.

“They packed their de­fence and we found it hard to get through. Maybe that fi­nal de­ci­sion, the fi­nal pass, just wasn’t right.

“It was just one of those games where we couldn’t re­ally muster the chances we would have liked to.

“We would have pre­ferred three points at home, but you have to take some­thing from the game and that’s what has hap­pened.

“I think it’s just one of those games where both teams have got to take the point, dust them­selves down and move on very quickly.

“If I can take any com­fort from to­day it’s that we didn’t lose. We haven’t had a clean sheet for a while but there aren’t too many pos­i­tives from a game that prob­a­bly won’t live long in the mem­ory.”

Chances were at a pre­mium in the first half, but it took an ath­letic stop from Smithies to keep out Eoin Doyle’s header, from Matthew Kennedy’s cross, on 29 min­utes.

Cardiff skip­per Mar­shall then pulled off a fine save of his own on 37 min­utes, turn­ing wide at full stretch when Mark Hud­son headed Ja­cob But­ter­field’s free­kick goal­wards.

Mar­shall then had to be quick off his line to deny Nahki Wells on 42 min­utes, as James Vaughan looked to have played his strike part­ner in be­hind the de­fence.

The vis­it­ing fans felt Town should have been re­duced to ten men on the stroke of half-time, when Tommy Smith hauled down Ken­wyne Jones as he looked to turn Kennedy’s early cross in.

Ref­eree Mark Hey­wood, on the ad­vice of his lines­man, only gave a yel­low card, how­ever, and Peter Whit­ting­ham’s sub­se­quent free­kick was de­flected over.

Whit­ting­ham went close again on 49 min­utes, when Kennedy picked him out with a low pass, but Mur­ray Wal­lace blocked his pow­er­ful shot.

Chances re­mained at a pre­mium, how­ever, with both sides only re­ally threat­en­ing from long range – Ja­cob But­ter­field fir­ing over on 53 min­utes and Aron Gun­nars­son like­wise on 79.

Nei­ther side could find a way through two solid de­fences though, and Cardiff boss Rus­sell Slade was sat­is­fied with the clean sheet.

“We were solid,” he said. “That was the im­por­tant thing. It was an­other clean sheet for us, which was pleas­ing. We’ve only con­ceded one goal from open play in the last four and it has been that back four.

“That back four has been fairly solid for us and it’s a shame it looks like Malone will be out for a few weeks.

“The ball didn’t seem to drop for us in the fi­nal third but I cer­tainly thought we worked their cen­tre-halves more than they worked ours.

“There wasn’t a lot in it to be hon­est. I thought we had the best chance of the game – it was an ex­cel­lent save by Smithies.

“The only other thing was the de­ci­sion to only give (Tom Smith) a yel­low card. I’m not say­ing it was wrong, it was a dif­fi­cult one for the ref­eree, but it’s one of those things that didn’t quite go our way.”

PIC­TURES: Me­dia Im­age

STALE­MATE: Cardiff new boy Eóin Doyle couldn’t find a way to break the dead­lock in York­shire

TUS­SLE: Cardiff's Ken­wyne Jones heads the ball clear

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.