Pools are Tutte-ing as Bury climb up

The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE TWO - By Nick Lough­lin

BURY moved back into the play-off zone, on a day when Hartle­pool United trudged ever closer to the Foot­ball League trap­door.

This was Pools’ 20th de­feat of the sea­son, while it was Bury’s first win in four.

The game looked set for a stale­mate un­til the 75th minute, when Pools’ striker Marvin Mor­gan need­lessly gave the ball away to Danny Mayor, who charged into the penalty area and An­drew Tutte bun­dled in.

In truth, nei­ther side de­served to win this one, but it was symp­to­matic of Pools’ sea­son that they gifted victory to the Shak­ers.

“We had to work hard for this,’’ ad­mit­ted Bury boss David Fl­itcroft.

“Ron­nie Moore teams fight to the death. This was a tough game and Hartle­pool beat Northamp­ton lately and have been in form – we had to stand up to the test and I think we did that.

“It took us a long time to break them down, but on the bal­ance of play we only had one shot to save early on and that was it.

“Three points were mas­sive. I knew we weren’t go­ing to con­cede, to win it we tin­kered a bit and swapped things about with wingers and strik­ers and in the end we had too much for them.

“We keep look­ing at what we do, 11 games, 21 points, so we are in form. We are do­ing the right things as a team.

“We learned how to win games, we are sick of man­agers say­ing af­ter a de­feat that we have been the best side.”

Only three min­utes had elapsed when Pools’ should have taken the lead. Michael Woods robbed Tutte of pos­ses­sion in mid­field and fed Mor­gan.

The on-loan Ply­mouth striker found his way into the area, but fired his fin­ish too close to keeper Nick Pope, be­fore squandering the loose fol­low up.

At the other end, Scott Flinders made a fine save to deny a goal-bound header from dom­i­nant de­fender Nathan Cameron.

Flinders made a top dou­ble save to deny Nicky Adams on a mid­field break, but Pools re­stricted the Shak­ers to shots from dis­tance.

Los­ing boss Ron­nie Moore ad­mit­ted:“It’s hard. Tight mar­gins proved the dif­fer­ence.

“They are go­ing to have pres­sure as the home team and plenty of the ball, but there was noth­ing be­tween the teams, first half es­pe­cially.

“And they had to change their sys­tem as we were that much on top.

“We had the first chance of the game – and the best one –and in tight games like this one, you have to take them.

“The only thing miss­ing was the goal.We didn’t have a goalscorer in the team and with one we would have been OK.''


RS Hartlep


Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.