The Football League Paper - - CHAMPIONSHIP - By An­drew Brook

CHARL­TON fans filled The Val­ley to wit­ness Chris Pow­ell’s home­com­ing but the last laugh be­longed to the lat­est man in the Ad­dicks’ hot-seat – Guy Lu­zon.

Pow­ell played more than 200 times for Charl­ton and led them to the League One ti­tle, but his Hud­der­s­field side were carved apart in front of more than 25,000 thrilled fans.

Thir­teen win­less games had seen Charl­ton lurch to­wards the rel­e­ga­tion zone, but Lu­zon has lifted them into the top half with three wins in four.

The lat­est came af­ter winger Jo­han Gud­munds­son struck in a free-kick from 25-yards and Scot­tish striker Tony Watt net­ted twice in the sec­ond half.

And Lu­zon said: “The fans are happy and we are happy, be­cause we played very well.We were well or­gan­ised in de­fence and in attack we made some great com­bi­na­tions.

“It was im­por­tant with the full sta­dium to send peo­ple home with a good feel­ing.

“When I win ugly it is ok, but I like to win beau­ti­ful. When you play like this, in the long-term we will get more points and the fans will en­joy it more.

“The at­mos­phere was great. I hope that on Tues­day all the fans that were here come again, be­cause we de­serve that af­ter how we played.

“I know if I go some­where and I en­joy it, I want to go again.

“My phi­los­o­phy is that in de­fence we have rules and ev­ery player knows what he has to do.

“In of­fence I give them ad­vice, but I tell them that they need to bring their tal­ent and abil­ity.

“I let them play how they want. It is very im­por­tant to me that they smile.”

A luke­warm game was jolted into life by Gud­munds­son’s firsthalf free-kick.

De­spite strik­ing it from just out­side the box and dead cen­tre, Gud­munds­son curled the ball around the wall and into the half of the goal un­guarded by Alex Smithies.

It was no more than Charl­ton de­served for their first-half ef­forts, as Igor Ve­tokele and Watt dragged Hud­der­s­field’s de­fence hither and thither.

But only in the sec­ond half were the Ad­dicks ad­e­quately re­warded.

Two min­utes af­ter kick-off Mur­ray Wal­lace stood four yards be­hind his fel­low de­fend­ers to al­low Ve­tokele clear and the An­gola in­ter­na­tional crossed for Watt to bun­dle in his sec­ond Charl­ton goal.

Hud­der­s­field had shifted to 4-4-2 at half-time, but their po­tency was lit­tle im­proved and only two ag­ile saves from Smithies in three min­utes – first from Watt's low, 20-yard shot, then from Lawrie Wil­son’s ef­fort – kept them in the game.

Stephen Hen­der­son re­sponded with a sprightly save of his own to deny Wal­lace, but a minute later the de­fender was blame­wor­thy again as Watt breezed past him to score. Pow­ell said: “We were sec­ond best all day and beaten by the bet­ter team.

“We couldn’t get our­selves go­ing and over the bal­ance of the game we can’t have any com­plaints. Mainly that was be­cause of Charl­ton.

“It’s the na­ture of the Cham­pi­onship that we can win 3-0 on Tues­day and lose 3-0 here. You look at the top sides and they’ve all dropped points.

“Some­times all you can do is credit the op­po­si­tion for that, rather than blam­ing your own play­ers.

“My re­la­tion­ship with Charl­ton sup­port­ers and how they are, I wouldn’t ex­pect any­thing less than what I got in terms of a re­cep­tion. It’s how they’ve been with me in three spells as a player and it’s more than you’d ever ex­pect for an op­po­si­tion manager.

“It’s a great mo­ment for me in my ca­reer, but I’m em­ployed by a dif­fer­ent club now. I have great mem­o­ries, but now my sup­port­ers are at the other end.”

PIC­TURE: Ac­tion Images

EYE FOR GOAL: Tony Watt scores the sec­ond goal for Charl­ton. Inset: Jo­hann Gud­munds­son scores the Ad­dicks’ first



Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.