The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE TWO - By Mike Sim­monds

AC­CRING­TON boss John Cole­man be­moaned the in­flu­ence of the Ke­nil­worth Road crowd as his side were beaten by pro­mo­tion-chas­ing Lu­ton Town.

In the week that Stan­ley at­tracted a mere 919 to their home win over lead­ers Bur­ton Al­bion on Tues­day night, the low­est Foot­ball League gate for 13 years, 8,700 were in at­ten­dance, and Cole­man thought it had an ef­fect on the end re­sult.

He said: “It's dif­fi­cult, be­cause it's never a level play­ing field.You can dress it up what­ever way you like, when we play at home, we have the best part of 1,000 fans.

“When the big clubs play at home, they have 8,000 fans and they in­flu­ence the 50/50s.

“Lu­ton scored on the back of a five minute spell where they had the ben­e­fit of some du­bi­ous de­ci­sions that kept the ball in our half and went in their favour.

“We've con­trived to lose a game where we were in to­tal con­trol.

“For 40 min­utes that was as good as we've played, cer­tainly away from home.”

The vis­i­tors had en­joyed the bet­ter of the first half and missed a glo­ri­ous chance in the open­ing few mo­ments as Terry Gor­nell beat the off­side trap.

Hat­ters keeper El­liot Justham nar­rowed the an­gle to save, while Fraser Franks cleared Josh Win­dass' re­bound away as it threat­ened to creep in.

Gor­nell then headed wide as Lu­ton cre­ated very lit­tle, on-loan striker El­liot Lee fir­ing a free-kick over the bar and see­ing his header palmed away by keeper Scott Davies.

The hosts then took the lead on 40 min­utes when Luke Gut­tridge's cor­ner was headed home by Jay­den Stockley.

In the sec­ond pe­riod, Win­dass fired well over for Stan­ley, while Lu­ton had shouts for a penalty when Lee was felled in the box, but noth­ing was given.

The vis­i­tors con­tin­ued to search for an equaliser, Win­dass off tar­get from Gor­nell's cute flick.

How­ever, Town had their sec­ond on 61 min­utes when Lee was played in and un­selfishly set up Gut­tridge to fire home from close range.

Jake How­ells al­most made it 3-0, from Cameron McGee­han's whipped de­liv­ery and sub­sti­tute Mark Cullen's header was tipped be­hind, while he saw a late block­buster turned over by Davies.

Boss John Still added: “I don't think we started par­tic­u­larly well.

“I thought they had the as­cen- dancy and threw us out with the shape they played.

“We wanted to play a di­a­mond to play two up, and we started off with a di­a­mond, so af­ter 20-25 min­utes we went to a lop-sided 43-3.

“Grad­u­ally we got into the game, Jay­den got a good goal and sec­ond half, I thought we played re­ally well.

“It was good to have Gutts back and get­ting into it.

“We're just try­ing to get the or­gan­i­sa­tion of it right and it was a good sec­ond goal, good play by El­liot Lee.

“The sec­ond half we were okay and we're get­ting to the stages of the sea­son where ev­ery point is im­por­tant, so it's good.”

PIC­TURES: Gareth Owen

BIG HEADER: Jay­den Stockley scores for Lu­ton. Inset: Luke Gut­tridge scores from the spot

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.