Goals like Lon­don buses for the Alex

The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE ONE - By Steve Lock­wood

CREWE Alexan­dra waited 400 min­utes for a goal – and then scored twice in 90 sec­onds as they beat Scun­thorpe United at Gresty Road.

Full-back Greg Leigh lit up a dour clash with a roof-rais­ing 25-yard piledriver in the 54th minute to give the home side the edge.

And when Crewe at­tacked straight from the kick-off Mar­cus Haber headed home at the far post to leave boss Steve Davis grin­ning from ear to ear.

“I don’t think it was a clas­sic but it was a hard­fought game and one we had to win with the games we’ve got com­ing up and with where Scun­thorpe are in the league,” said Davis.

“It needed some­thing like Greg’s goal to change the game, oth­er­wise it was head­ing for a 0-0 I think.

“I thought we started off the sec­ond half re­ally well, at a higher tempo and Scun­thorpe couldn’t live with us dur­ing the 20 min­utes in which we got the goals.

“Greg’s was a roof-rais­ing strike, but he did it in train­ing on Fri­day – ex­actly the same goal. The sec­ond was a train­ing ground goal from Thurs­day.We worked in get­ting Mar­cus to the back post and get­ting crosses into the box.

“We set­tled on that, then and saw the game out re­ally well.”

In the first half, nei­ther side had been able to get a grip on a scrappy game played on a bob­bly pitch, though Alex did squan- der a good open­ing in stop­page time when Nicky Ajose stabbed wide from a left-wing cross by Leigh.

The only qual­ity of the match came in the 20 min­utes af­ter the break, when Crewe stepped up a level and made their con­trol count.

Jamie Jones, who ran the game in the mid­dle of the park, al­most broke the dead­lock five min­utes af­ter the restart, but Leigh en­sured Alex did forge ahead, crack­ing a stunning shot in via the un­der­side of the bar af­ter the ball had come out to him on the left.

Scun­thorpe were reel­ing and, be­fore they had had time to mount a come­back, were dead and buried. A ball hung into the box looked hope­ful, but Haber used his strength to rise high­est and wrap up three points which moved Crewe seven clear of the bot­tom four.

Scun­thorpe boss Mark Robins said:“There was noth­ing in it, apart from a won­der strike that 99 times out of 100 goes into the sky.

“It went right on a postage stamp into the cor­ner and put us on the back foot, then they got one straight af­ter which killed the game.

“We got for­ward into bet­ter po­si­tions than them, but that was the way it went here.

“We could have played un­til mid­night and I don’t think we’d have scored.”



Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.