Cole­man’s men hold firm af­ter red card

The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE TWO - By Mark Mudie

AC­CRING­TON Stan­ley manager John Cole­man might not have agreed with ref­eree Rob Lewis but he in­sisted there was noth­ing wrong with his troops as they bat­tled for a hard-earned point against Portsmouth.

An­thony Barry was shown a straight red card eight min­utes into the sec­ond half for a late tackle on Portsmouth mid­fielder Danny Hol­lands.

But Stan­ley held on for a draw with ten men af­ter a header from Pom­pey striker Ryan Tay­lor can­celled out Josh Win­dass’ su­perb free-kick opener in the first half.

“We started the game well and I felt we were the bet­ter team in the first half,” Cole­man said.

“It was an open game and we cre­ated more chances in the first 45 min­utes than we have in the last few matches com­bined.

“It was a great goal from the free-kick by Win­dass, who has new found con­fi­dence and we started the sec­ond half well.

“I thought the game was there for us but that all changed when the ref­eree de­cided to show a straight red card to An­thony.

“I was dis­ap­pointed, the game was ru­ined by the send­ing off and did not agree with the de­ci­sion, but was pleased we had enough char­ac­ter to hold on for a point.”

Ac­cring­ton took the lead in the 16th minute, Win­dass curl­ing a free­kick over the wall and be­yond Pom­pey goal- keeper Paul Jones af­ter James Dunne fouled Kal Nai­smith.

Hol­lands had al­ready had a header cleared off the line when Scott Davies spilt a Dan But­ler cor­ner and Tay­lor nod­ded the vis­i­tors level only four min­utes later.

Andy Proc­tor volleyed nar­rowly wide and Nai­smith missed from close range as Stan­ley piled on the pres­sure be­fore half­time.

The game turned in Pom­pey’s favour with the dis­missal of Barry and the south coast side could have snatched victory. Paul Robin­son’s ef­fort off tar­get from a Jed Wal­lace cor­ner was as close as the for­mer Pre­mier League out­fit came to a win­ner.

Pom­pey have now lost only one of their last nine games but fail­ure to se­cure all three points all but ends their hopes of mak­ing a late charge for the play-offs.

Vis­it­ing boss Andy Aw­ford said:“I thought we were for­tu­nate to be level at half-time as Ac­cring­ton were the bet­ter side.

“The free-kick they scored was su­perb and there was noth­ing we could have done to stop it.

“I was pleased with the way we came straight back and got the equaliser and over­all happy with the chances we made.

“I am dis­ap­pointed we didn’t get an­other goal, es­pe­cially against the ten men.”


S Ac­cring


Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.