Bury boss blasts the ref as U’s tri­umph

The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE TWO - By Michael Hen­son

BURY boss David Fl­itcroft was left in­fu­ri­ated by the ref­eree af­ter see­ing his side lose against Ox­ford United.

Kevin John­son sent off Bury’s Adam El-Abd for a sec­ond yel­low card be­fore award­ing Ox­ford a penalty four min­utes later.

And though Fl­itcroft saw keeper Nick Pope save Danny Hyl­ton’s penalty, Cal­lum O’Dowda scored late on for the U’s and the Shak­ers manager be­lieved there was a lot of in­con­sis­tency in John­son’s per­for­mance.

“I’ve had time to calm down,” said Fl­itcroft.“The play­ers are de­jected, they are dis­heart­ened and I be­lieve the in­con­sis­tency of the ref­eree all af­ter­noon has paid cause to us gain­ing mo­men­tum in the game.

“Alex MacDon­ald, who has apol­o­gised for the tackle on Joe Ri­ley, doesn’t get booked for the chal­lenge and there are two cau­tions be­fore that.

“With the penalty, Danny Hyl­ton hand­balls it, then he throws him­self on the floor with no con­tact and he gets the penalty with the ref­eree only four yards away.

“I don’t re­ally hide be­hind blam­ing the ref­eree but there hasn’t been a high level of pro­fes­sion­al­ism shown and that disappoints me.

“The play­ers have suf­fered as they’re on the floor in there. League Two is the breed­ing ground for the ref­er­ees who want to get to the promised land of the Pre­mier League and un­til they go pro­fes­sional, it won’t change.”

The first half was a scrappy af­fair with limited chances for ei­ther side. Ox­ford had two penalty ap­peals turned down and Chris Hussey sent a free­kick just over.

The game came to life in the sec­ond half as ElAbd re­ceived a sec­ond yel­low card af­ter bring­ing down Ke­mar Roofe be­fore ref­eree John­son ruled that Jim McNulty had fouled Hyl­ton in the box. Hyl­ton took on the penalty du­ties and saw his ef­fort palmed away by Pope.

The win­ning goal came five min­utes from time as Hyl­ton sent sub­sti­tute O’Dowda clear of the Bury de­fence. The 19-year-old winger brought it un­der con­trol be­fore round­ing Pope and slot­ting the ball into an empty net to se­cure the three points for the U’s.

Ox­ford manager Michael Ap­ple­ton said:“I thought the lads kept their dis­ci­pline, their shape and or­gan­i­sa­tion was very good as well.

“We’ve come up against an­other form team, that we seem to do in most weeks re­cently, who are go­ing through one of them runs and they had won four in a row.

“To come to their own patch and keep an­other clean sheet, that’s three out of four games now, we’re de­lighted. It was a fan­tas­tic fin­ish from Cal­lum O’Dowda.”



Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.