Humes fumes at late, late lev­eller

The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE ONE - By Jon Wal­dron

COLCH­ESTER United manager Tony Humes ad­mit­ted his side’s draw at Gilling­ham felt more like a de­feat af­ter a dra­matic late equaliser de­nied them a pre­cious win at the Pri­est­field Sta­dium.

Doug Loft struck in the sixth minute of stop­page time to sal­vage a point for the Gills and leave the U’s four points adrift of safety, with eight games left.

Humes said: “It feels like a de­feat – we were so close yet so far yet again.

“The boys have been fan­tas­tic, but it was a bit of naivety and youth­ful ex­u­ber­ance.You have to learn to man­age games.

“If we had, we’d have got three fan­tas­tic points and I thought we were su­perb out there apart from 90 sec­onds.

“We knew what to ex­pect and Gilling­ham didn’t cause us masses of prob­lems other than the set plays that were go­ing in.

“We got back into the lead with a great goal from Chris Porter but then the ref­eree has found seven min­utes from some­where.”

Gilling­ham boss Justin Ed­in­burgh was pleased with his side’s re­sponse, af­ter they fought back twice to se­cure a draw.

Ed­in­burgh said:“We have to be pleased to have res­cued some­thing, but I think it would have been un­just if we hadn’t.

“The start we had was very pos­i­tive but we pe­tered out a bit in the first half and Colch­ester came into it.

“We made changes and brought Jer­maine McGlashan on who gave us some good width and im­pe­tus, and we took the sec­ond half by the scruff of the neck and re­ally went at Colch­ester.

“They’ve hit us on the counter-attack twice which we’re a bit dis­ap­pointed about, but we have to look at it as a pos­i­tive out­come in the end.”

Gilling­ham al­most went ahead af­ter 20 sec­onds when Sam Walker par­ried Cody McDon­ald’s ef­fort and the Colch­ester keeper also de­nied Aaron Mor­ris, while Luke Nor­ris’ curl­ing ef­fort flew just over.

Porter shot wide just af­ter half-time but Gilling­ham might have had a penalty when sub­sti­tute McGlashan tum­bled un­der Matt Briggs’ chal­lenge in the area. Colch­ester took the lead just af­ter the hour when Ge­orge Mon­cur fin­ished well from 12 yards, from Porter’s far­post header.

But Walker de­nied Bradley Dack be­fore Max Eh­mer headed in Loft’s free-kick to equalise, with eight min­utes re­main­ing.

Porter headed in Matt Briggs’ cross to re­store Colch­ester's lead, with three min­utes to go.

Gavin Hoyte hit the bar for Gilling­ham and Briggs was dis­missed for two book­able of­fences, be­fore Loft lashed in from the edge of the area to score a dra­matic equaliser.



Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.