Win­dass late show ru­ins York af­ter­noon

The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE TWO - By Colin Hen­rys

YORK boss Russ Wil­cox be­moaned his side’s mis­for­tune as Josh Win­dass’ late, de­flected free-kick de­nied them a valu­able three points.

Luke Sum­mer­field and Jake Hyde both struck af­ter the break for the Min­ster­men, ei­ther side of Sean Maguire’s goal, but Win­dass’ late free­kick en­sured a share of the spoils.

It means York re­main locked in the rel­e­ga­tion battle, but Wil­cox be­lieves his side’s fight­ing qual­i­ties mer­ited a bet­ter re­sult.

“It was a per­for­mance wor­thy of three points,” he said.

“Is it a point gained? No, it’s two lost be­cause it’s a late goal.

“We just need a lit­tle bit of lady luck but we have to keep the be­lief and to­geth­er­ness that is there for ev­ery­one to see to get us out of this mess.

“Re­sults are ob­vi­ously most im­por­tant but the key for me is that I can­not ques­tion what the play­ers are do­ing.

“The fans go away dis­ap­pointed but they can’t be dis­ap­pointed with the spirit and en­deav­our of the lads.

“It’s small mar­gins, fine lines. It’s a cruel, cruel game.”

York were the bet­ter team from the off, with Tom Platt go­ing clos­est be­fore the break when his long-range strike was well blocked on 18 min­utes.

Shaq Coulthirst and Keith Lowe then both tested Scott Davies from dis­tance within ten min­utes of the in­ter­val.

Sum­mer­field fi­nally broke the dead­lock on 63 min­utes, as York coun­ter­at­tacked with pace and the mid­fielder’s low shot de­flected in be­yond the wrong-footed Davies.

The lead lasted just six min­utes though, be­fore Maguire pounced on Lowe’s headed clear­ance to fire pow­er­fully be­yond Bobby Ole­jnik.

Hyde re­stored York’s lead on 76 min­utes, stretch­ing to stab in from close-range when John Mc­Combe un­selfishly pulled back to him in front of goal.

But Win­dass’ 90th minute free-kick from the edge of the area, af­ter Rus­sell Penn’s foul, beat Ole­jnik via a big de­flec­tion to earn the hosts a late point.

And Stan­ley as­sis­tant manager Jimmy Bell said: “We showed the bat­tling qual­i­ties we have in the team, we stuck to our guns and I think a draw was a wor­thy re­sult in the end.

“It was like a boxing con­test.

“We were keep­ing each other at arm’s length. There were a few jabs here and there but not much hap­pen­ing un­til the goals.

“But give credit to our lads. It showed the re­silience we’ve got in our camp.We don’t want to get dragged into this rel­e­ga­tion battle.

“It keeps the teams be­low us at arm’s length and it was a good point in the end.”


Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.