The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE TWO - By Jon Palmer

CHEL­TENHAM Town boss Rus­sell Mil­ton ad­mit­ted he was strug­gling for any pos­i­tives af­ter watch­ing his side slip to the bot­tom of the ta­ble with this home de­feat by Ply­mouth Ar­gyle.

Two goals for Reuben Reid and a third from sub­sti­tute Zak An­sah kept Ar­gyle on course for the play-offs.

But it leaves the Robins fac­ing a huge battle to pre­serve their Foot­ball League sta­tus.

“We’ve got to start win­ning and I’ve said that in the dress­ing room, so the play­ers know it,” said Mil­ton, whose nine games in charge have yielded just one victory, against Tran­mere four weeks ago.

“There’s enough in the dress­ing room to get out of it, we just need to get enough on the pitch there too.

“We’ve done it, we’ve had some good per­for­mances, but we haven’t got the re­sults we’ve de­served at times.

“But in the next seven games we have to go for it and pro­duce some re­sults.

“I’m sick to the pit of my stom­ach at where we are at the minute. They all care and we’ve got to pick our­selves up, get on with it and pre­pare for York on Fri­day.”

Mean­while, Ply­mouth boss John Sheri­dan was de­lighted with his team’s dis­play as they ran out com­fort­able win­ners at Whad­don Road.

“It was very good on a tricky pitch and I em­pha­sised that to the lads be­fore the game,” he said. “We coped with it very well, play­ing with an ur­gency.

“And when you get the first goal it gives you some­thing to hold on to, but we saw it out well and we were ex­cel­lent in the sec­ond half.

“We were solid through­out on a tight pitch. I told them they need to step up the pitch ten or 15 yards, keep pos­ses­sion for longer pe­ri­ods and we did that in the sec­ond half.

“We have an out­stand­ing clean sheet record and it’s good to pick up an­other one. We could have scored more than three.”

Reid’s first goal came in the 34th minute af­ter Chel­tenham al­lowed cen­tral de­fender Carl McHugh to run 30 yards un­op­posed.

His pass reached Reid in the penalty box and the pow­er­ful striker fin­ished neatly past Trevor Car­son for his 18th goal of what has been a suc­cess­ful cam­paign.

Mathieu Manset missed Chel­tenham’s best op­por­tu­nity to level in the 43rd minute, fir­ing wide with only Luke McCormick to beat af­ter Shaun Har­rad’s pass.

Car­son made a one-handed stop to deny Lewis Alessan­dra in the 49th minute, but it was 2-0 af­ter an hour and the game was all but up.

Reid’s shot looped up off de­fender Matt Tay­lor and into the net, giv­ing Car­son no chance.

An­sah rounded off the scor­ing with four min­utes left, nod­ding in An­thony O’Con­nor’s cross from the right to cap his de­but with a goal.

PIC­TURE: Pin­na­cle

ZAK ATTACK: Ply­mouth’s Zak An­sah beats Chel­tenham keeper Trevor Car­son to make it 3-0

REID ALL ABOUT IT: Rueben Reid cel­e­brates putting Ply­mouth ahead

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.