The Football League Paper - - CHAMPIONSHIP - By Ra­jan Man­gat

NEIL Har­ris in­sisted Mill­wall’s home form will be the dif­fer­ence be­tween stay­ing up and go­ing down af­ter his side came from be­hind to beat ten-man Charl­ton to boost their sur­vival hopes.

Jos Hooiveld’s 87th-minute strike earned the Li­ons their first win at The Den since Oc­to­ber af­ter Ma­gaye Gu­eye had can­celled out Alou Diarra’s strike for the Ad­dicks.

Charl­ton had skip­per Chris Solly dis­missed in the first half for de­lib­er­ate hand­ball in the box, but Stephen Hen­der­son saved Lee Gre­gory’s re­sult­ing penalty.

The re­sult moved Mill­wall up to 22nd, just four points be­hind Rother­ham, but Har­ris ex­plained he’s tak­ing it one game at a time as the Li­ons bid to beat the drop in the Cham­pi­onship.

“It’s a good start, our home form is key to our sur­vival,” he said.

“The Brighton game was a good point, but to do that against our lo­cal ri­vals in such an im­por­tant game is huge.

“I thought we were ex­cel­lent. When you go 1-0 down it’s a kick in the teeth and you think it might not be your day, but the fans stuck with the team and it was an amaz­ing at­mos­phere.

“It’s spe­cial for me but I’m de­lighted for my play­ers. I would have been gut­ted if we didn’t win, but for the whole club the re­sult is spe­cial and now we have the mo­men­tum.

“We’re all in this to­gether. This club is built on backs to the wall and we’re go­ing to take it one game at a time.”

The hosts had the best of the early ex­changes and al­most went ahead on four min­utes, but Ed Up­son’s bril­liant ball over the top nar­rowly evaded Gre­gory.

Up­son should have put the home side ahead on 14 min­utes, but the un­marked mid­fielder headed over from Dan Harding’s danger­ous cross.

The game changed just short of the halfhour mark when Solly was given his march­ing or­ders for de­lib­er­ately han­dling Ai­den O’Brien’s ef­fort in the box, gift­ing Mill­wall a penalty.

Gre­gory stepped up, but the striker’s ef­fort was well saved by Hen­der­son low to his right to keep the scores level.

Mill­wall con­tin­ued to press and Hen­der­son pro­duced an­other spec­tac­u­lar save to deny Up­son just be­fore half-time.

The Li­ons dom­i­nated the pos­ses­sion af­ter the break, but the Ad­dicks took the lead on 67 min­utes, when Diarra ghosted into the box to flick home Mor­gan Fox’s cross from the left – the for­mer West Ham mid­fielder’s first goal for the club.

But Mill­wall hit back and sub­sti­tute Gu­eye lev­elled 11 min­utes from time with a low drive from a tight an­gle.

And Hooiveld stole all three points three min­utes from the end when he turned home Gu­eye’s shot. What a time to score your first goal for Mill­wall!

Charl­ton boss Guy Lu­zon was left frus­trated with the de­feat, but the Is­raeli praised his side’s re­silience af­ter go­ing down to ten men.

“My play­ers gave ev­ery­thing, es­pe­cially with ten men,” he said. “But foot­ball is like this some­times and I thought we, as a team, were ex­cel­lent in the sec­ond half.

“I’m very dis­ap­pointed with the de­feat. It’s not easy to play with one player less and I wasn’t sure it was a red card – Solly told me it hit his head.

“But we showed a great at­ti­tude, we had to re-or­gan­ise at half-time and af­ter the break we had good counter at­tacks and scored a great goal.

“The red card changed our style of play, we like to play at­tack­ing foot­ball, but we did the most we could in the sec­ond half.

“At 1-1, Simon Church had a great chance to make it 2-1, but un­for­tu­nately in the next attack they scored the win­ning goal.”

PIC­TURE: Ac­tion Images

LION HEARTS: Jos Hooiveld cel­e­brates his win­ner af­ter Mill­wall had bounced back from Alou Diarra’s opener for Charl­ton, inset

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.