The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE TWO - By Robert Do­man

AQUICK-FIRE dou­ble from Shrews­bury's Con­nor Goldson left Dag­gers boss Wayne Bar­nett seething af­ter the de­fender guided Town to a fourth con­sec­u­tive win.

Goldson struck twice in just five first-half min­utes as Shrews­bury moved to within a point of top spot in League Two.

The cen­tre-back was given the free­dom to roam at set-pieces with Bar­nett blast­ing his side's mark­ing.

And the Da­gen­ham & Red­bridge manager's frus­tra­tion was ev­i­dent fol­low­ing the match as he vowed to get the re­sult he says his side need to se­cure their Foot­ball League sta­tus once and for all.

“We haven't marked the op­po­si­tion prop­erly and that is what has cost us,” Bar­nett said.

“If you want to be suc­cess­ful you have to be re­spon­si­ble but we've had two dis­ap­point­ing re­sults and per­for­mances.

“Now I think we need an­other win to make sure we don't get dragged back into any­thing.

“I can't em­pha­sise the work we do to pre­pare play­ers for th­ese games but they need to man­age games bet­ter.

“We started well and took the game to them and at times we gave a good ac­count of our­selves.

“But goals change games and we didn't re­ally trou­ble Shrews­bury's goal­keeper enough. We didn't break them down.”

Billy Bing­ham un­leashed a sear­ing 12th-minute strike that shaved the foot of the Shrews­bury post.

But it was Shrews­bury who opened the scor­ing when Goldson met Liam Lawrence's 17th-minute cor­ner.

The de­fender scored his sec­ond of the game when he headed in a Lawrence free-kick just five min­utes later.

Mickey Demetriou failed to make it three when his shot was turned away by Mark Cousins.

The Dag­gers goal­keeper was in ac­tion again when he de­nied both Ryan Woods and Jer­maine Gran­di­son in quick suc­ces­sion.

And Cousins also thwarted James Collins from close range be­fore Jean-Louis Akpa-Akpro slid a shot past the post on the stroke of half-time.

Jamie Cure­ton found the side-netting as the Dag­gers tried to force a way back into the game on 49 min­utes.

Collins then fired in a vol­ley at the other end with Cousins once more alert to the dan­ger and Town sub­sti­tute Ty­rone Bar­nett al­most got the touch he needed to con­vert Demetriou's invit­ing cross.

But Shrews­bury manager Micky Mel­lon was just happy to get the victory he craved, par­tic­u­larly as lead­ers Bur­ton drew at Ply­mouth.

He said: “It is a ter­rific win for us at this time of the sea­son.

“I am de­lighted to get the three points. The fire and in­ten­sity just wasn't there but the play­ers re­sponded.

“Con­nor Goldson has scored two ter­rific head­ers and we made it com­fort­able for our­selves.

“Re­sults else­where have helped us but we need to keep tak­ing care of our own busi­ness and if we do that then what­ever hap­pens else­where will make the points we pick up that lit­tle bit sweeter.”

DOU­BLE TROU­BLE: Con­nor Goldson cel­e­brates his sec­ond

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.