Tem­pers flare as Cole­man sees red

The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE TWO - By Alec Fenn

MORE­CAMBE boss Jim Bent­ley played down his dis­pute with John Cole­man af­ter a spat be­tween the pair ended with the Ac­cring­ton boss sent to the stands.

The home side were held by Stan­ley at the Globe Arena as their 16game win­less streak against their Lan­cashire ri­vals con­tin­ued.

Kevin El­li­son’s 26thminute header had put the hosts in front but Luke Joyce’s long-range ef­fort lev­elled the scores min­utes later.

Cole­man’s bust-up with Bent­ley saw him dis­missed be­fore Terry Gor­nell also saw red for a poor tackle on Lau­rence Wil­son.

Wil­son had the chance to ex­act re­venge when More­cambe were awarded a sec­ond-half penalty but he fired over the cross­bar as the game ended 1-1.

“Me and John are both pas­sion­ate guys and it boiled over, but we won’t hold a grudge,” said Bent­ley.“He’ll be in my of­fice now and we’ll laugh about it.

“We’ve never had a bet­ter chance of get­ting a win over them. It was a proper derby match. We’ve had some good mo­ments but couldn’t find the goal.When a side goes down to ten men like they did you’ve got to get the sec­ond goal but we couldn’t.”

Ac­cring­ton had the first chance of the game when Shay McCar­tan’s loop­ing ef­fort was cleared off the line by Mark Hughes.

El­li­son gave the home side the lead on 26 min­utes. A Jamie De­vitt cor­ner found the head of Hughes, whose ef­fort was nod­ded into the top right­hand cor­ner by the winger.

Joyce’s cross-cum-shot flew over the head of Danny Ward and into the top left-hand cor­ner to make it 1-1, be­fore the fo­cus turned to the touch­line.

“I said to the fourth of­fi­cial that one of our play­ers hadn’t made a foul,” said Cole­man. “Their goal­keep­ing coach then de­cided to get in­volved and things got heated. I was met with a lot of ag­gres­sion from their bench and I’ve been sent off.”

Tem­pers flared on the pitch as well, with the vis­i­tors re­duced to ten men fol­low­ing the dis­missal of Gor­nell for a studs up chal­lenge on Wil­son five min­utes be­fore half-time.

Af­ter the break Wil­son blazed over the bar from the spot fol­low­ing Matty Crooks’ trip on El­li­son in­side the penalty area, while De­vitt had a goal dis­al­lowed from Lloyd Jones’ quick free-kick.

Ac­cring­ton re­mained a threat on the break, with boss Cole­man prais­ing their char­ac­ter.

He added:“We’ve got good play­ers here and the sec­ond half showed that.

“It showed that we’ve got great fit­ness lev­els and de­sire, and we de­served a point.”

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.