Gills and Ed­in­burgh find home

The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE ONE - By Ben Cold­well

JUSTIN Ed­in­burgh praised his Gilling­ham side’s re­silience in com­ing away with a first home win in al­most two months – a re­sult which leaves Brad­ford City’s play-off hopes all but fin­ished.

The Gills stood up to in­tense first-half pres­sure from Brad­ford, and had Glenn Mor­ris to thank for a string of im­pres­sive saves in the first pe­riod.

The game opened up in the sec­ond half and Ed­in­burgh seized the op­por­tu­nity to make three quick changes, with sub­sti­tute John Mar­quis even­tu­ally mak­ing the dif­fer­ence in the 72nd-minute.

Ed­in­burgh said: “In the first half we had to dig deep and de­fend against a lot of balls into the box from a fast start­ing Brad­ford team.

“Once we got in at half-time at 0-0 I knew that there was more to come from the team. I was a lit­tle anx­ious as we hadn’t won at home for a pe­riod of time but I thought we started the sec­ond half well.

“The back three was mar­shalled well by Leon Legge and Glenn Mor­ris in goal. I felt we dealt well with them and as the game went on we started in im­pose our­selves on the game and stretch Brad­ford.

“You hope that when sub­sti­tutes come on they make an im­pact. I’m pleased for John, it was a good fin­ish. He was un­lucky with the sec­ond one that was headed off the line. I think we could have had one or two more if de­ci­sions had been bet­ter in the fi­nal third.”

Leon Legge and Max Eh­mer at the heart of the Gilling­ham de­fence held steady un­der a first-half aerial siege, but the home side had goal­keeper and man-of-the-match Mor­ris to thank for keep­ing the scores level, stop­ping James Han­son and John Stead on the stroke of half-time.

The sec­ond pe­riod opened up and Mar­quis, on loan from Mill­wall, even­tu­ally broke the dead­lock for the home side, cut­ting onto his right foot and curl­ing an ef­fort past Ben Wil­liams and into the bot­tom cor­ner for the win.

Brad­ford boss Phil Parkin­son re­fused to ad­mit de­feat in the battle for the play-offs, with his side seven points adrift, but he be­moaned the in­abil­ity to con­vert first-half dom­i­nance into goals.

Parkin­son said: “It’s never over un­til it’s over so we’ll keep go­ing un­til the ref­eree blows his whis­tle on the last day of the sea­son.

“We’ve com­pletely dom­i­nated for 45 min­utes and not taken our chances. Those di­vid­ing lines in foot­ball are tight. We just need to take one of those chances, and with the way we played in the first half was wor­thy of a two or three goal lead.

“It was frus­trat­ing to come in at half-time at 00.We needed to take one of our chances.”


S Gillingh


Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.