Iron beat the Beast to climb to safety

The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE ONE - By Chris Sumpter

MANAGER Mark Robins be­lieves two more wins will se­cure Scun­thorpe United’s League One sur­vival af­ter watch­ing them take a big step to­wards safety at the ex­pense of rel­e­ga­tion ri­vals Craw­ley.

A de­flected strike from full-back Jor­dan Clarke gave the Iron the lead against Craw­ley Town and striker Paddy Mad­den bagged his 17th of the sea­son in the 62nd minute to give the home side a com­mand­ing lead.

Craw­ley, who had won four of their pre­vi­ous six matches to climb out of the bot­tom four, were for­tu­nate to pull a goal back in the fi­nal quar­ter, but did not put their hosts un­der enough pres­sure to de­serve a share of the spoils.

“It was a mas­sive win, in a 100 per cent must-win game,” said Robins, whose side face more strug­glers, in Port Vale and Colch­ester United on Tues­day and Satur­day.

“We bossed it with­out there be­ing too much qual­ity, though Craw­ley have had some good re­sults, so you know they are no mugs.

“We were dis­ap­pointed with the goal we con­ceded, but at this mo­ment we have to be happy we have got three points in the bag.

“Two wins can do it and we’ve got a right chance this week. At this stage of sea­son we have five cup fi­nals and if we can get wins on Tues­day and Satur­day, that should see us okay.”

Clarke had al­ready gone close to fir­ing his side in front, hav­ing an ef­fort blocked on the line, be­fore his 19th minute strike spun off Ryan Dick­son and bob­bled in.

Scun­thorpe were cer­tainly in the as­cen­dancy for the most part, but they re­ally ramped up the pres­sure af­ter the break, when vis­it­ing keeper Brian Jensen – nick­named ‘The Beast’ – pro­duced a string of fine stops to keep the score­line down.

The sec­ond goal the Iron had threat­ened fi­nally came in the 62nd minute, Mad­den get­ting in front of his marker to fire home af­ter a cor­ner had not been cleared.

That should have been that for Scun­thorpe, but top scorer Izale McLeod fin­ished clin­i­cally to set up a nervy fi­nale.

Reds boss Dean Saun­ders had no com­plaints about the re­sult and be­moaned the ab­sence of de­fender Richard Wood, who was re­called from a loan spell by par­ent club Rother­ham United in mid­week.

“We didn’t do enough and we didn’t de­fend well at all,” he said.

“There were too many things go­ing on de­fen­sively that don’t nor­mally go on. At 1-0 I thought there was more chance of go­ing 2-0 down rather than get­ting back in it.

“Brian Jensen made too many saves – we don’t nor­mally con­cede that many chances.We hardly had any chances, which is dis­ap­point­ing in what was a big game.”

PIC­TURES: Mar­tyn Har­ri­son



N Old­ham BIG HUG: Do­minic Poleon is em­braced af­ter scor­ing. Inset: Ja­son Holt was on tar­get for Sh­effield United



Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.