The Football League Paper - - CHAMPIONSHIP - By Oliver Young-Myles

CHARL­TON boss Guy Lu­zon cred­ited an in­crease in tempo af­ter half-time as the key to their come­back at The Val­ley.

Leeds de­servedly led at the break from an out­stand­ing goal by Steve Mori­son, min­utes af­ter Billy Sharp had a penalty saved.

But Charl­ton were much im­proved af­ter the restart, and goals from Tony Watt and Yoni Buyens gave them the points.

Lu­zon, who joined the club in Jan­uary, said: “To be hon­est, I didn’t like our rhythm or tempo in the first half, and at half-time we said we needed to change that to win the game.

“In the sec­ond half, the play­ers played with a lot more pas­sion and ag­gres­sion so they did very well.

“It’s not the first time this sea­son we have shown good char­ac­ter and we need to con­tinue that un­til the end of the sea­son.”

Lu­zon also re­served praise for Ice­landic in­ter­na­tional Jo­hann Gud­munds­son, who played a key role in both of Charl­ton’s goals af­ter com­ing off the bench.

“In the last two weeks, we have played five games, so we had to ro­tate the team and keep the play­ers fresh,” he added.

“That’s why Jo­hann started on the bench.

“I knew Jo­hann could come on and change the game in the sec­ond half and I’m glad he did.”

Charl­ton started brightly but an in­jury sus­tained by ex­pe­ri­enced French in­ter­na­tional Alou Diarra early on seemed to desta­bilise them.

Leeds be­gan to con­trol af­fairs and should have scored af­ter 20 min­utes when Luke Mur­phy volleyed over from close range.

Mo­ments later, Stephen Hen­der­son was al­most left em­bar­rassed as his clear­ance can­noned off Mori­son and flew just wide.

Charl­ton al­most scored against the run of play soon af­ter as Igor Ve­tokele di­verted Tal Ben Haim’s ef­fort on to a post.

Sharp then missed a golden chance to break the dead­lock when his penalty was saved fol­low­ing Tal Ben Haim’s foul on Sam Byram. De­spite that set­back, Leeds took the lead af­ter 40 min- utes when Mori­son volleyed home spec­tac­u­larly from Luke Mur­phy’s ac­cu­rate cor­ner.

Charl­ton were much im­proved the break and equalised through Watt’s ac­cu­rate left-footed fin­ish af­ter Gud­munds­son’s de­liv­ery on 74 min­utes.

Six min­utes later, Buyens gave them the lead, scor­ing his eighth penalty of the cam­paign af­ter Stu­art Tay­lor had up­ended Ve­tokele.

And that strike meant Leeds head coach Neil Red­fearn was dis­ap­pointed his side didn’t earn at least a point.

He said: “I thought we played very well first half and should have been at least two or three up at half-time.

“We spoke about do­ing a pro­fes­sional job in the sec­ond half and man­ag­ing the game, but we seemed to take our foot off the pedal for 20 min­utes and that al­lowed Charl­ton back into it.

“On the bal­ance of play, we de­served at least a point. Billy missed a penalty in the first half so we could have been 2-0 up at half-time but it wasn’t to be.”

Six play­ers dropped out of the Leeds squad through in­jury only the night be­fore, and Red­fearn ad­mit­ted it was the first time he had wit­nessed such an event in his ca­reer.

“It seems like a freak­ish se­ries of events, hav­ing six play­ers drop out be­fore a game,” he added.

“Silvestri got a knock in the last game but we ex­pected him to play.

“I had no idea the oth­ers had any prob­lems.

“It’s dif­fi­cult for me to com­ment. I have to trust the lads as pro­fes­sion­als but ob­vi­ously a lot has hap­pened at the club since the turn of the year.”

PIC­TURES: Max Flego

ONE FOR THE AL­BUM: Tony Watt scores for Charl­ton

EASY DOES IT: Yoni Buyens side­foots Charl­ton’s win­ner

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.