Colch­ester de­nied at death by Ade­lakun

The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE ONE - By Jon Wal­dron

FOOT­BALL can be a cruel game. Just when strug­gling Colch­ester thought they had se­cured a priceless win, they were de­nied in stop­page-time by a wicked de­flec­tion, deal­ing their sur­vival hopes a ma­jor blow.

The U’s are now four points adrift of safety with three games re­main­ing af­ter young­ster Ha­keeb Ade­lakun equalised five min­utes af­ter com­ing on as a sub­sti­tute with a shot that looped in off Matt Briggs.

Colch­ester had fought back well af­ter trail­ing to Theo Robin­son’s su­perb strike at half-time. They scored twice in four min­utes through Tom East­man and Chris Porter, be­fore Ade­lakun’s late strike.

U’s boss Tony Humes said: “It was a dif­fi­cult game and con­di­tions didn’t make it easy to play in.

“But the play­ers were fan­tas­tic in the sec­ond half and they stuck at it and worked their way back into the game.

“We even­tu­ally got our noses in front but it was a sucker-punch at the end with a de­flected goal. The de­fender has got to get tighter to stop the ball go­ing into the box.

“It’s hard to take but the game is not over un­til it’s over.

“We put our­selves into a great po­si­tion and it hasn’t hap­pened for us, but there are still three games to go and we have to see what we can get out of them.”

Scun­thorpe manager Mark Robins was un­happy with the way his side al­lowed Colch­ester back into the game.

He said: “We coasted and I’m sick of us just do­ing enough.

“I’m frus­trated and an­gry be­cause we haven’t per­formed.

“We got an­other point and we have to move on but I just want to get to the end of the sea­son, keep our sta­tus in­tact and then start putting things right, be­cause it isn’t right.

“They equalised and then we switched off from a set play. All of a sud­den, they got a free shot on goal and it put us 2-1 down.

“I’m fu­ri­ous. We keep talk­ing about play­ers be­ing good enough, but they have to prove that week in, week out.”

Scun­thorpe keeper Luke Daniels de­nied Richard Brind­ley in the first half, while Colch­ester’s Gavin Massey nod­ded wide with only Daniels to beat.

Robin­son gave Scun­thorpe the lead on the half-hour with a de­light­ful shot from the edge of the area, af­ter the Colch­ester de­fence had failed to clear Daniels’ long kick.

But, af­ter Massey had clipped the bar, East­man blasted home from a cor­ner with nine min­utes re­main­ing and Porter con­verted David Fox’s pass four min­utes later to put the U’s ahead, only for Ade­lakun to sal­vage Scun­thorpe a dra­matic point.


AN Colche


Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.