Rovers let Bury score in bizarre con­clu­sion

The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE ONE - By Michael Hen­son

DON­CASTER Rovers man­ager Paul Dickov be­lieves his side did the right thing in in­jury time by let­ting Bury walk the ball into the net af­ter the match ended in con­tro­versy.

Harry For­rester ac­ci­den­tally fired over Chris­tian Wal­ton af­ter Bury sport­ingly played the ball out and Dickov be­lieved let­ting Bury’s Leon Clarke score was the right thing to do in the name of the club.

For­rester’s ef­fort came at the end of a sec­ond-half which Dickov be­lieves should have seen at least one penalty awarded for his side af­ter chal­lenges on James Cop­pinger and Nathan Tyson.

But he had no qualms about let­ting the op­po­si­tion score and com­ing away with a point.

“That’s prob­a­bly the best strike Harry For­rester has had all game!

“He’s asked me what I wanted him to do and I said knock it back to the goal­keeper or out for a goal kick,” said Dickov.

“I just felt the right thing to do in the fan­tas­tic name of Don­caster Rovers, and Bury, was to let them score.

“The chal­lenge on James Cop­pinger is bor­der­line whether it’s in the box or not, but it’s a def­i­nite foul.

“The one on Tyson is a bla­tant penalty, why would he fall down clean through on goal when he’s six yards out with min­utes to go?

The game was an end-to-end con­test through­out at the Keep­moat Sta­dium with both teams hav­ing chances to edge in front.

Bury’s Leon Clarke saw a low shot saved by Thorsten Stuck­mann be­fore Don­caster’s Curtis Main fired wide from the edge of the area.

Bury came fly­ing out of the blocks in the sec­ond half and had three good chances in the open­ing five min­utes with Leon Clarke go­ing close twice while Peter Clarke had a shot cleared off the line.

The home side had two penalty shouts turned down to­wards the end of the sec­ond half be­fore the con­tro­ver­sial in­ci­dent in in­jury time.

Bury had played the ball out fol­low­ing an in­jury and For­rester re­turned the ball, ac­ci­den­tally lob­bing Wal­ton in the process be­fore Leon Clarke walked the ball into the net to equalise.

Bury boss David Fl­itcroft was left dis­ap­pointed with the de­ci­sion made by the of­fi­cials, but he found time to praise his op­po­site num­ber. How­ever, he couldn’t re­sist a dig at the ref­er­ee­ing author­i­ties.

“It doesn’t show the ref­eree’s as­so­ci­a­tion in a great light,” he said.“But cer­tainly you saw a pro­fes­sional per­son in Paul Dickov.

“For them to let Leon score, and share the points, is not only sports­man­ship it shows that there is the moral­ity in football.”

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.