The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE TWO - By Oliver Young-Myles

LEY­TON Ori­ent man­ager Ian Hen­don en­joyed watch­ing his hit-men fire at the first op­por­tu­nity this sea­son as they beat Bar­net.

Sec­ond-half goals from Jay Simp­son and Paul McCal­lum two min­utes apart handed the home side the vic­tory and helped ban­ish the mem­o­ries of last sea­son’s rel­e­ga­tion.

And Hen­don, who was ap­pointed as man­ager in May, fol­low­ing Fabio Liverani’s de­par­ture, be­lieved his side were fully de­serv­ing of the three points.

He said:“We knew ex­actly what to ex­pect and they had some good chances in the first-half.

“It was a team per­for­mance at the end of the day and we came through that lit­tle pe­riod of pres­sure and sec­ond half I thought we looked the much bet­ter side.

“The goals were taken very well, Paul has been on fire in pre-sea­son and Jay’s been a lit­tle bit qui­eter, but I think it will prob­a­bly be Jay that gets the goals and Paul will take a bit of a back seat but it was nice that they both got one each.

“It was great to see the good sup­port to­day, it was a good per­for­mance and I hope ev­ery­one comes back next time around.”

The home side missed the first big op­por­tu­nity through debu­tant McCal­lum af­ter seven min­utes, as the for­ward chipped the ball ag­o­nis­ingly wide with Bar­net keeper Graham Stack caught in no man’s land.

Ten min­utes later Bar­net went close af­ter John Akinde bul­lied his way past Mathieu Baudry, be­fore pick­ing out Michael Gash, who in­ex­pli­ca­bly side­footed the ball wide when it looked eas­ier to score.

Mo­ments later Akinde forced Alex Cisak into a good stop, be­fore pick­ing out skip­per Curtis We­ston, who headed over from close range.

Ori­ent started the sec­ond half ex­tremely brightly, with Simp­son forc­ing an ex­cel­lent stop from Stack, be­fore McCal­lum di­verted the re­bound into the side-net­ting.

On 70 min­utes, they pro­duced the best move of the game. Neat in­ter- play be­tween Dean Cox and Bradley Pritchard led to an open­ing for Simp­son, whose well struck shot whis­tled nar­rowly wide of the far post.

How­ever, their pres­sure fi­nally came to fruition, as Simp­son ac­ro­bat­i­cally volleyed home from Dean Cox’s cross, af­ter an ex­cel­lent freeflow­ing move on the right wing.

And just two min­utes later they dou­bled their ad­van­tage, McCal­lum get­ting the bet­ter of his man in the air be­fore fin­ish­ing clin­i­cally in­side the six-yard box.

De­spite tast­ing de­feat on his re­turn to the football league, Bar­net man­ager Martin Allen was de­lighted with his player’s ef­forts against a side who were two di­vi­sions higher than them last sea­son.

He said:“Fair play to [Ori­ent], they came back into it in the sec­ond half and had two chances and got two goals.

“Over­all it’s a mas­sive step up from 16 months ago when I first came to Bar­net – when we were out­side play­off po­si­tions – so it’s a very proud day for me.

“Some of these play­ers have been with me since the be­gin­ning so to see them out there, in front of a great crowd play­ing against some good Ori­ent play­ers on this stage, is what we aimed for 16 months ago and I’ve said well done to ev­ery one of them for their ef­fort and com­mit­ment.

“On another day if those chances in the first-half go in, we win that game and that’s against a team that I would imag­ine will be in the top four, so it was a great test for us to­day and I think we ac­quit­ted our­selves very well.”

ALL OVER: Paul McCal­lum scores the sec­ond goal for Ley­ton Ori­ent

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.