The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE TWO - By Mikael McKen­zie

AC­CRING­TON Stan­ley boss John Coleman vented his anger at his de­fence af­ter con­ced­ing a 90th-minute equaliser at home to Lu­ton Town.

Stan­ley took the lead on the hour mark when Josh Win­dass con­verted from the spot af­ter be­ing brought down by Jonathan Smith.

But Smith turned from vil­lain to hero when he de­flected debu­tant Craig Mack­ail-Smith’s volley into the back of the net in in­jury-time to send the vis­it­ing sup­port­ers be­hind the goal into pan­de­mo­nium.

And Stan­ley boss Coleman was ab­so­lutely livid with his side’s in­abil­ity to see the game out when it seemed all but won.

“If we would have got beaten 4-0 I wouldn’t feel any worse than I do now,” he said.

“I am ab­so­lutely blaz­ing. I have not felt this an­gry for a long, long time. The game was won.They were of­fer­ing no threat.They hadn’t laid a glove on us up to when they scored and, to be hon­est, they could have won it in the last minute and that’s re­ally, re­ally an­noy­ing.

“Peo­ple would ar­gue that they are one of the favourites for the league and that we are one of the favourites to go down so we should be happy with a point but that’s a load of non­sense.”

The hosts started on the front foot as Terry Gor­nell shot straight at Jason Mooney from close range.

Debu­tant Mack­ail-Smith carved out the Hat­ters’ first chance half an hour into the con­test, tee­ing up Danny Green on the edge of the area, but Mooney saved com­fort­ably down to his right.

The break­through came when a swift-counter at­tack from Piero Min­goia on the hour mark found Win­dass free down the left and he charged into the penalty area be­fore draw­ing a foul from Smith.The ref­eree had no hes­i­ta­tion in point­ing to the spot and the 21-year-old picked him­self up to smash the ball hard and low into the bot­tom left cor­ner from 12-yards.

The hosts went close to dou­bling their lead when sub­sti­tute Billy Kee sent a dip­ping volley over the cross­bar on the 70th minute.

But all was not over for Lu­ton who threw lots of bod­ies for­ward late on and their gam­ble was re­warded when Mack­ail-Smith’s sting­ing volley can­noned off the body of Smith and landed in the back-off the net, giv­ing Mooney no chance.

Jack Mar­riott al­most snatched a win­ner four min­utes into added time but his low shot was tipped wide by Mooney.

Lu­ton man­ager John Still said: “I know we can play bet­ter than that.

“Jonathan Smith is one of the hard­est work­ing, com­mit­ted play­ers you can get and we love him for it but you have to have dis­ci­pline. Games are won and lost on small mar­gins. “At the end of the day if you make an er­ror that is avoid­able you are not go­ing to help your­self but the first game is out of the way and I am happy with that.”

PIC­TURES: Media Im­age

UP AND RUN­NING: Ac­cring­ton Stan­ley’s Josh Win­dass cel­e­brates open­ing the scor­ing from the spot

TUS­SLE: Stan­ley’s Matt Crooks and Lu­ton’s Paddy McCourt

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.