Tay­lor’s strike is enough for point

The Football League Paper - - CHAMPIONSHIP - By Steven Chicken

BURN­LEY boss Sean Dy­che crit­i­cised the of­fi­cials af­ter penalty de­ci­sions at each end both went against his side.

Dy­che was un­happy that ref­eree David Coote failed to point to the spot for Jonathan Spec­tor’s chal­lenge on Lukas Jutkiewicz 15 min­utes from the end, at which time Birm­ing­ham were lead­ing 21 cour­tesy of a soft Paul Cad­dis penalty.

Sub­sti­tute Matthew Tay­lor even­tu­ally pulled Burn­ley’s coals out of the fire with an ex­cel­lent free-kick to bring them level for the sec­ond time, af­ter Jon Toral’s first-half strike was can­celled out by Michael Keane’s header af­ter the break.

But Dy­che’s dis­plea­sure was still clear. He said: “I don’t like to talk about ref­er­ees but when it’s that bla­tant on Jutkiewicz it’s un­fath­omable.

“The de­fender’s pan­icked ba­si­cally and pulled him down, and it’s not only a penalty but he goes off the pitch just by the na­ture of the rules.

“But other than that we got on with it, as we do, re­sponded twice, as we tend to do, and the sec­ond half was much bet­ter.

“Then you have the con­tentious other penalty where their lad quite sim­ply runs in an un­nat­u­ral man­ner and stands on our lad’s toes try­ing to get out the way and goes down. So two big de­ci­sions go against us.”

Dy­che will have been dis­ap­pointed with the na­ture of Birm­ing­ham’s opener, which came from a Burn­ley at­tack­ing free-kick.

Michael Kightly’s ef­fort was straight at To­mas Kuszczak, and Birm­ing­ham had the ball in the net at the other end be­fore the ref­eree’s van­ish­ing foam was dry.

Clarets de­fender Keane made a to­tal hash of Kuszczak’s long ball for­ward, al­low­ing Clay­ton Don­ald­son to get a touch to the ball be­fore Ar­se­nal loa­nee Toral made it two goals in two games from 20 yards.

Birm­ing­ham looked most likely to score again be­fore the break, with David Cot­ter­ill hit­ting the post with a curl­ing left-footed ef­fort.

Another Kightly free-kick went ac­cord­ing to plan seven min­utes af­ter the break, with Jelle Vossen flick­ing on the winger’s de­liv­ery for Keane to nod in at the back post, mak­ing amends for his ear­lier er­ror. It was a vi­tal goal for a Burn­ley side that had played with ter­ri­ble mal-co­or­di­na­tion be­fore the break, and they threat­ened twice more be­fore the hour mark too.

So they were un­for­tu­nate to fall back be­hind af­ter Don­ald­son took a dive un­der pres­sure from Ten­dayi Darikwa, suc­cess­fully fool­ing the ref­eree into giv­ing a penalty that Cad­dis con­verted.

Sub­sti­tute Sam Vokes went close to an equaliser off the bench for the sec­ond week run­ning af­ter his goal at El­land Road, but couldn’t quite get a touch to Darikwa’s low cross.

Ref­eree Coote got it spot on nine min­utes from time though, bring­ing back play for Maikel Kieften­beld’s foul on Ge­orge Boyd, with sub­sti­tute Tay­lor smash­ing in the free-kick off the un­der­side of the bar.

Birm­ing­ham boss Gary Rowett said: “Con­sid­er­ing the fact that we’re play­ing against a team that was in the Premier League last sea­son and have a vast ar­ray of at­tack­ing op­tions avail­able to them, I felt in the first half we were ex­cel­lent.

“We moved the ball well on the counter-at­tack and weath­ered ev­ery­thing they threw at us.

“You know Burn­ley are a very good pres­sure team that make you de­fend and wait for you to make a mis­take.

“In the end I’m not dis­ap­pointed with the point.”

PIC­TURES: Ac­tion Im­ages

UP AND OVER: Matthew Tay­lor smashes in Burn­ley’s equaliser

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.