Mel­lon is happy to hold his hands up

The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE ONE - By Adam Lacey

SHREWS­BURY Town man­ager Micky Mel­lon ac­cepts he was to blame af­ter his side were forced to fight from a goal down to draw at Brad­ford.

Last sea­son’s top­scorer Billy Clarke put the home side in front at the end of the first half, but Ty­rone Bar­nett snatched an equaliser im­me­di­ately af­ter the break.

The Shrews then hung on for a draw and man­ager Mel­lon be­lieved his side’s de­fen­sive per­for­mance was well worth a point on the road as they ad­just to life in League One.

He said: “I thought it was a tough game, there was noth­ing in the game that shocked me.

“I think we knew that when we came here we were go­ing to have to deal with a lot, and we dealt with it very well.

“It was a soul-de­stroyer when we con­ceded, but I ask them to play and take the ball in dan­ger­ous ar­eas, so when it doesn’t go well I can’t throw my toys out of my pram.

“It was pleas­ing that the team didn’t dwell on it and we bat­tled our way back into it very quickly.

“I was just grate­ful to see Bar­nett’s strike hit the back of the net, I’ve not seen it back my­self, and to score so early af­ter half-time, it was a body blow to go in to the break be­hind.”

The away side ab­sorbed a lot of pres­sure in the open­ing pe­riod but were un­done when cap­tain Liam Lawrence gave the ball away to Clarke.

He fed Steve Davies on the left and then got the ball back be­fore smash­ing into the roof of the net.

But Bar­nett lev­elled less than a minute into the sec­ond half for the visi­tors, al­beit it in rather lucky cir­cum­stances.

Bar­nett latched on to James Collins’ hope­ful knock down and his shot hit Rory McArdle be­fore re­bound­ing back off him and spin­ning into the net past keeper Ben Wil­liams, much to the home side’s dis­be­lief.

And Ban­tams boss Phil Parkin­son felt his team did enough to get win their first home game of the sea­son as he looked for a re­sponse fol­low­ing their Cap­i­tal One Cup de­feat to York City.

“It was a cagey game, but we stuck at our job,” said Parkin­son. “We spoke at half-time about start­ing quickly, and to con­cede so soon was a blow and I felt it knocked us.

“It was a freak goal re­ally, the lad just kicked it from the back and it was so soft.”

Clarke’s with­drawal through in­jury seemed to dis­rupt City’s search for a win­ner, although his re­place­ment Billy Knott did have a penalty ap­peal turned down in stop­page time.

“There were two in­ci­dents that I thought were penal­ties, that on another day you might get, but it didn’t sur­prise me when they weren’t given.”



ON Shrews


Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.