The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE ONE - By Ricky Charlesworth

PAUL Dickov says his strike pair­ing were cru­cial to Don­caster se­cur­ing their maiden three-point haul of the sea­son.

The Scot praised Andy Wil­liams and Curtis Main as Rovers main­tained their un­beaten home form, which stretches back to April, with vic­tory over Fleet­wood.

First-half goals from James Cop­pinger and Main edged the game in Rovers’ favour but the man­ager was keen to also credit Wil­liams.

“I thought Curtis and Andy were out­stand­ing, es­pe­cially in the first half,” said Dickov.

“You de­fend from the front and we did that from the first minute.

“They didn’t give Fleet­wood’s back three any time to play at all and that en­thu­si­asm and workrate ends up run­ning through the team and gets you fur­ther up the pitch.

“I was de­lighted for Curtis to get on the score­sheet be­cause the last few games he’s worked his socks off.

“They caused us a few prob­lems sec­ond half but as much pos­ses­sion as they had, they didn’t re­ally hurt us.”

Both sides had chances in the early ex­changes with Wil­liams go­ing close for Rovers be­fore Stephen Jor­dan planted a header over the bar for the visi­tors.

Jimmy Ryan then saw a pot-shot go wide for Fleet­wood be­fore Don­caster took the lead on 17 min­utes though vet­eran Cop­pinger. The 34-year-old got a vi­tal touch on Aaron Tay­lor-Sin­clair’s in-swing­ing free-kick from the right to open the scor­ing.

Just seven min­utes later the hosts dou­bled their ad­van­tage with a fine, flow­ing move, as Main swept coolly be­yond Chris Maxwell af­ter be­ing teed up by Wil­liams in the box.

Fleet­wood’s at­tempts to get back into the con­test were largely re­stricted to long-dis­tance ef­forts thanks to a re­silient Rovers back­line, with home stop­per Thorsten Stuck­mann hardly hav­ing a save to make all af­ter­noon.

Fleet­wood did how­ever start the brighter in the sec­ond half but An­toni Sarce­vic saw a free-kick come back off a post be­fore he shot the wrong side of the net.

Don­caster should have put the game com­pletely out of sight with 20 min­utes re­main­ing, but the in­dus­tri­ous Wil­liams was de­nied by a fine stop from Maxwell.

Fleet­wood boss Graham Alexan­der said:“The first goal put us on the back­foot and the sec­ond was a break from our at­tack.

“I think we prob­a­bly over-com­mit­ted af­ter the first goal in­stead of steady­ing the ship and us­ing the next 70 min­utes to try to get back into the game.

“The first goal was a de­flected free­kick and I think they got a bit of for­tune.

“We gave them a chance by giv­ing a cheap free-kick away and it ends up in the back of our net. That changes the com­plex­ion of the match but once we re­gained our com­po­sure we bossed the game.

“Goals are what it’s about but we didn’t get the goals we should have.”

PIC­TURES: Richard Parkes

TOO GOOD: Curtis Main slots home Don­caster's sec­ond

COP THAT: James Cop­pinger nets the opener


MS Donca


Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.