The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE TWO - By Tim Ever­shed

TEDDY Sher­ing­ham in­sists his troops are lis­ten­ing to ev­ery word he is say­ing af­ter Steve­nage shocked Ply­mouth.

The best per­for­mance and re­sult of Sher­ing­ham’s short reign in Hert­ford­shire saw his Steve­nage side bring Ply­mouth’s good run to a halt thanks to first-half goals from Con­nor Ogilvie and Chris Whelp­dale.

De­spite a bet­ter sec­ond-half show­ing from the visi­tors – which in­cluded a Craig Tan­ner goal – Ply­mouth fell short to leave Sher­ing­ham grin­ning from ear to ear.

“It is a fan­tas­tic re­sult for us.We knew that Ply­mouth would come and give us a real game,” Sher­ing­ham said.

“They didn’t sur­prise us, we knew they’d be a for­mi­da­ble force. I re­spect the way they played and the way they tried to get back in it from 2-0 down.

“As long as we’re im­prov­ing with each game then that will make me happy.That means I’m get­ting my point across, we’re tak­ing it on board and de­liv­er­ing that.

“It doesn’t have to be about re­sults but it is nice when you get them. I’m lov­ing man­age­ment so far and be­ing a football man­ager is what I’m all about.”

Ply­mouth made a shaky start and even when they carved out an early chance, Graham Carey’s way­ward shot af­ter four min­utes was in­dica­tive of how the first-half would go for Ar­gyle.

In­stead it was Steve­nage that took the lead in the sixth minute. Midfielder Tom Pett man­aged to slip his pass through to Ogilvie in space on the left and the full-back’s low drive de­flected up and over Pil­grims keeper Luke McCormick.

The home side al­most dou­bled their lead four min­utes later when Whelp­dale struck the post with a curl­ing ef­fort. At the other end Ar­gyle were hav­ing dif­fi­culty find­ing the tar­get with Gregg Wylde twice guilty of send­ing shots high and wide.

Steve­nage’s Char­lie Lee sent a shot over the roof of the stand at full stretch with the Ply­mouth goal gap­ing af­ter more good work from Pett.

And they made it 2-0 af­ter keep­ing out Ar­gyle’s best chances of the half.

Ryan Brunt’s dan­ger­ous-look­ing shot was blocked be­fore Carey’s fol­low-up went inches wide. Ar­gyle were then hit with a sucker punch on the counter as Lee rode two chal­lenges down the right be­fore pick­ing out Dean Par­rett, whose shot was turned in at close range by Whelp­dale.

Ply­mouth boss Derek Adams rang the changes at half-time with a dou­ble sub­sti­tu­tion that saw Os­car Threlkeld and Tan­ner en­ter the fray. And he was re­warded within ten min­utes as Carey dinked a cross to the far post and Tan­ner nod­ded home.

It could have got even bet­ter for the visi­tors as Jake Jervis took ad­van­tage of Mark Hughes’ slip to go fly­ing down the right into space. But the midfielder blasted into the side net­ting in­stead of try­ing to pick out the open Wylde at the far post.

Carl McHugh did man­age to get the ball into the Steve­nage net from a cor­ner only to see his ef­fort chalked off for a foul.

Adams said: “We ob­vi­ously didn’t start too well, we didn’t play well and lost a poor goal af­ter five min­utes and another poor one later on in the half.

“It is a long way back af­ter that. Sec­ond half we pushed Steve­nage back and we might have got a draw from the game.

“We showed slack pass­ing from the kick-off and that wasn’t very good. They’ve had a free week and looked ready for the game.

“Over­all, Steve­nage pushed us and har­ried us and were able to get the win. We had to change some­thing at half­time to try and get back in the game but we didn’t do enough to get that sec­ond goal.”

PIC­TURES: Ac­tion Im­ages

FLY­ING HIGH: Chris Whelp­dale cel­e­brates scor­ing Steve­nage’s sec­ond goal and, inset, Ply­mouth’s Carl McHugh nets but his ef­fort was dis­al­lowed

STEVE­NAGE 2 PLYMOUTHOgilvie 6, Whelp­dale 38 A 1

Tan­ner 54



Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.