The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE TWO - By Thomas Han­nah

FOUR­TEEN points down, 51 to go – only then will Gareth Ainsworth start talk­ing up his Wy­combe side’s pro­mo­tion chances.

Vic­tory over Hartle­pool United made it six games with­out de­feat for the Chair­boys this sea­son.

Com­ing on the back of reach­ing the play-off fi­nal last time out, there’s lit­tle doubt where Ainsworth’s sights are set.

But af­ter two Michael Har­ri­man goals sent Pools to a third suc­ces­sive League Two de­feat, Ainsworth was still play­ing down the Buck­ing­hamshire club’s chances.

“Our tar­get is 65 points – get there as quick as we can and then we will talk,’’ he claimed.

“Teams now change how they come here – and they used to come here ex­pect­ing to win. Hartle­pool tried to get their foot on it and it al­lowed us to get our foot on it – and we did it bet­ter.

“We gave them a boost with a sloppy goal but we talked pos­i­tively at half­time and came out with a pos­i­tive frame of mind and took the game to them.”

The Chair­boys were quick to get in be­hind a tame Pools de­fence and Har­ri­man slid a shot wide com­ing in from the right be­fore Paul Hayes had an ef­fort cleared off the line from a well-worked cor­ner rou­tine.

Af­ter Pools’ Michael Woods had a volley saved firmly by Matt In­gram, Har­ri­man opened the scor­ing. A long ball from the back was flicked on by Hayes for Har­ri­man to race onto and bend a low shot into the cor­ner of the net.

But Pools re­sponded well and Rhys Oates was de­nied by a Danny Rowe tackle and, from the cor­ner, Billy Paynter’s header was nod­ded off the line.

They lev­elled when Carl Magnay ex­changed passes with Rak­ish Bing­ham and his shot spun high over In­gram into the net.

Paynter then hit the post amid some static home de­fend­ing as the visi­tors pressed.

But on 57 min­utes, Garry Thompson was un­chal­lenged in head­ing the ball to Har­ri­man who was al­lowed to cut in­side and curl in from 20 yards.

Rhys Oates should have lev­elled, but his shot was fired straight into In­gram from the edge of the area. And chances at both ends be­came scarce as the game lost its early zip.

Pools’ hopes of a point were dented when they were re­duced to ten men in the fi­nal min­utes as Magnay and Wy­combe’s Ryan Sellers tan­gled and the right-back was is­sued a red card for vi­o­lent con­duct.

Tran­mere man­ager Ron­nie Moore said: “There’s dis­ap­point­ment with the goals we con­ceded. But we can’t de­fend and the two goals are as­ton­ish­ing.

“First one is a long ball from the back, flicked on and they score. The sec­ond should have been a free-kick to us. In­stead, they break, the ball falls for him and he scores. First-half we could have gone in front 2-1 at half-time when Billy hits the spot. But if you can’t de­fend, then you lose.We have to put it right, it’s not about cre­at­ing chances, but do­ing the job you have to do.’’

WY­COMBE WAN­DER­ERS: (4-4-2): In­gram 6; Dona­cian 7, Jom­bati 7, Rowe 7, Jacobson 6; Ban­ton 7 (Sellers 75, 5), Bean 5, O’Nien 6, Har­ri­man 8; Hayes 7 (Kret­zschmar 62, 4), Thompson 7 Subs not used: Lynch, McGinn, Bloom­field

HARTLE­POOL: (4-4-2): Bartlett 6; Magnay 7, Har­ri­son 7, Wor­ley 4, Jones 6 (Oyenuga 68, 4); Oates 6 (Smith 80, 5), Woods 5, Feather­stone 5, Car­roll 6; Paynter 4 (Fen­wick 57, 4), Bing­ham 6. Subs not

used: Denton, Nel­son-Addy, Hawkins, Boyce

PIC­TURES: Ac­tion Im­ages



AN Wy­com

be DOU­BLE TROU­BLE: Michael Har­ri­man cel­e­brates af­ter scor­ing his sec­ond goal and, inset, Carl Magnay nets for Pools

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.