Heck­ler’s four-some as Rovers crum­ble

The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE ONE - By Paddy von behr

EMILY Heck­ler grabbed four goals as Hud­der­s­field Town beat Black­pool Wren Rovers 10-1 to ease into the next round of the FA Women’s Premier League Cup last week­end.

Deb­bie Hast­ings got the ball rolling af­ter 19 min­utes with the first of her hat-trick, while Stephanie Smith and Katie Lock­wood – twice – also came to the party.

Katie Barnes brought up dou­ble fig­ures with her first goal for the club, be­fore Rovers’ Gemma Hat­son curled home a free-kick late on to spoil the hosts’ hopes of a clean sheet.

“I al­ways feel sorry for the op­po­si­tion when they’re on the re­ceiv­ing end of that kind of score­line and we have had those in the past,” said Hud­der­s­field man­ager Glenn Pre­ston.

“We set the tar­get of not con­ced­ing and if we did, it needed to be some­thing spe­cial. It was a good free-kick and there’s not a lot you can do about those.”

Last sea­son’s semi-fi­nal­ists Cardiff City also made it through to the first round proper af­ter a 1-0 vic­tory over Enfield Town.

Hope Suomi­nen, Amy Wathan and Kelly Aldridge all saw chances wasted but Cardiff even­tu­ally broke the dead­lock with a screamer fired in by Chloe Lloyd from 25 yards.

Goals from Charley Wil­son, Jess Framp­ton and Gemma Sim­monds gave Portsmouth a hard-fought 3-2 win at Keyn­sham Town. South­ern Di­vi­sion pace­set­ters Coven­try

United fared worse, though, and were knocked out by C& K Basil­don af­ter Karissa Rooney’s loop­ing first-half goal se­cured a 1-0 win.

New­cas­tle United, lead­ers of the North­ern Di­vi­sion af­ter two games, were also knocked out af­ter a 2-1 de­feat at home to Brad­ford City.

The Ban­tams took the lead late in the first half af­ter Katie Nut­ter’s right-footed shot de­flected off the slid­ing Claire Pitt, leav­ing Laura Ware­ham stranded.

New­cas­tle should have equalised be­fore the break but Lizzy Camp­bell lofted a good chance over the bar.

The sec­ond half saw the hosts be­gin to take con­trol, un­til Char­lotte Stu­art put in a high chal­lenge on Pitt, forc­ing her off in­jured with New­cas­tle hav­ing used all three sub­sti­tutes.

The visi­tors took ad­van­tage, Sarah Danby net­ting to dou­ble their lead on 67 min­utes af­ter Han­nah Camp­bell had pulled the ball back from the by­line.

New­cas­tle still had the ma­jor­ity of pos­ses­sion de­spite hav­ing lost a player and picked up a con­so­la­tion goal on 81 min­utes, Beth Gar­dener curl­ing a 25-yard free-kick into the top right cor­ner. Black­burn Rovers beat fel­low North­ern Di­vi­sion side Lough­bor­ough Foxes 6-0 and Not­ting­ham For­est were em­phatic 8-0 vic­tors away at Leafield Ath­letic.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.