The Football League Paper - - CHAMPIONSHIP - By John McDougall

BURN­LEY sur­vived a scare against Sheffield Wed­nes­day to leap into the play-off spots, but Clarets boss Sean Dy­che be­lieves there is more to come from his side.

David Jones gave the hosts an early ad­van­tage but At­dhe Nuhiu drew the Owls level, be­fore Burn­ley sub­sti­tute Matthew Tay­lor and An­dre Gray’s late strike sealed their third suc­ces­sive win.

And Dy­che re­served spe­cial praise for club record sign­ing Gray who bagged a goal and an as­sist on his Turf Moor de­but.

“I still think there’s more to come, I’ve been say­ing it the last few weeks,” he said. “We’ve got play­ers who are mould­ing, they’re get­ting used to each other, we’ve got play­ers get­ting fully fit.

“It’s be­gin­ning to form a group who we think can be very, very com­pet­i­tive and we’re show­ing that.

“Slowly but surely, I could sense it. I thought ‘We’re get­ting back on top’, and a fine stand up from An­dre Gray for Matty Tay­lor’s goal and then the raw­ness that An­dre’s got is a pow­er­ful weapon, and he goes af­ter things that oth­ers per­haps wouldn’t.

“That will and de­mand from him to press from the front – and peo­ple know that’s how I like my strik­ers to work – was on show and he was very un­lucky not to catch the keeper twice with a block which would have ended up in the net.”

Jones drew a foul from Sam Hutchin­son in a dan­ger­ous po­si­tion and made the York­shire side pay by open­ing the scor­ing with a de­light­ful sev­en­th­minute free-kick which curled over the Wed­nes­day wall with Joe Wild­smith well beaten.

But the Owls drew level when Daniel Pudil found space on the left and de­liv­ered a pin­point 20th-minute cross for Nuhiu who climbed above Ben Mee to head Wed­nes­day level.

Sam Vokes ran at the Wed­nes­day de­fence and slipped in Gray only for Glenn Loovens to make a mag­nif­i­cent last-ditch chal­lenge to deny the new Burn­ley man.

Af­ter the break, Fer­nando Forestieri tried his luck with a 51st-minute ef­fort from just out­side the box that sailed just over Tom Heaton’s goal, while Barry Bannan headed off tar­get from Tom Palmer’s cross.

Forestieri drove at the Burn­ley rear­guard shortly be­fore the hour and found Nuhiu who even­tu­ally com­posed him­self only to fire straight at Heaton.

Gray was then put through on goal on the hour by Michael Kightly but Wild­smith was quick off his line to smother the ef­fort, be­fore Ge­orge Boyd’s pow­er­ful 68th-minute shot de­flected off Loovens and struck Wild­smith be­fore be­ing cleared.

The home side went ahead af­ter Gray out­foxed Loovens on the right and sent in a 78th-minute cross for sub­sti­tute Tay­lor who volleyed home em­phat­i­cally.

Gray sealed the win in stop­page time af­ter rob­bing Liam Palmer of pos­ses­sion and cut­ting in­side to fin­ish con­fi­dently past Wild­smith.

Wed­nes­day boss Car­los Car­val­hal said: “We started the game very well, but the first time that Burn­ley go to our goal with the free-kick, they score.

“In the sec­ond half we played much more of­fen­sively in mid­field.We missed clear chances to score but in the one or two mis­takes that we did, Burn­ley did the goals.

“If we draw, if you ask me if I’m happy with the draw, prob­a­bly I would say I’m a lit­tle up­set.

“But the re­al­ity, that we lose a match in which we played very well and we cre­ated a lot of chances, is a lit­tle harsh. I be­lieve that ev­ery­one in the sta­dium was wait­ing for the sec­ond goal of Sheffield Wed­nes­day.”

PIC­TURES: Ac­tion Im­ages

COR­NER KICK: Burn­ley’s An­dre Gray cel­e­brates scor­ing their third goal

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.