‘Bor­ing’ Millers an­noy Luzon

The Football League Paper - - CHAMPIONSHIP - By Daniel Prescott

GUY Luzon hit out at Steve Evans and his neg­a­tive football af­ter Rother­ham frus­trated Charl­ton at The Val­ley.

Charl­ton dom­i­nated against the Millers but fell be­hind to a first-half Far­rend Rawson tap in.

Pa­trick Bauer equalised but a point was the best Charl­ton could man­age, much to Luzon’s frus­tra­tion.

“We should have won, we had more than 60 per cent of the game and we haven’t won,” Luzon vented.

“We had 21 shots on tar­get.That is enough to win the game but we didn’t.We tried to play pos­i­tive football to cre­ate some­thing and try to win the game.

“Rother­ham came here to waste time and play the long ball through­out. They came here not to win the game but came here for a max­i­mum of one point.

“They had only one chance in the sec­ond half and no other cru­cial chances.

“You need to ask the coach of Rother­ham why he does not play pos­i­tive football. Ask him why his team is just there to frus­trate us rather than play them­selves.

“If we con­tinue to play at­trac­tive football and they con­tinue to play the way they do we will have more points than them at the end of the sea­son.”

Charl­ton flew out of the blocks and al­most took the lead in the open­ing min­utes when Jor­dan Cousins slipped past two de­fend­ers, only to be de­nied by Lee Camp.

Camp was to play a vi­tal role in Rother­ham’s point and he de­nied Cousins again on 15 min­utes.

Rother­ham were un­der the cosh, but went in at the break with the lead, al­beit in con­tro­ver­sial cir­cum­stances. The Millers were handed a free-kick, which ap­peared to cannon off one of their own play­ers and away for a goal kick.

But ref­eree Keith Stroud gave a cor­ner and while Charl­ton were busy ar­gu­ing Rawson tapped home at the back post from Joe Newell’s de­liv­ery.

Charl­ton re­turned from the break look­ing for vengeance and Camp had to be on top form again to tip over Igor Ve­tokele’s ef­fort.

On the hour Rother­ham re­minded Charl­ton they were still a dan­ger and goal­keeper Nick Pope stood up and took note. Pope put out a big hand to deny Tony An­dreu what would surely have earned the away side all three points.

Luzon made a change just af­ter the hour, bring­ing Si­mon Makienok onto the pitch to change things up.

And he quickly did so, as the big man chested the ball down, played it across goal and al­lowed Bauer to tap home with 65 min­utes gone.

The crowd urged their side for­ward but a share of the spoils was all they could muster with Rother­ham boss Evans in­sis­tent that a draw was the fair re­sult.

“I think we were good value for the point at least – I think we could have even earned all three with our sec­ond-half chances,” Evans said. “Charl­ton had a lot of the ball but they didn’t re­ally do much with it to threaten us and the two best saves of the game came from their goal­keeper.

“When that chance in the sec­ond half fell to An­dreu there wasn’t a per­son in the sta­dium that didn’t think we had grabbed a sec­ond.

“But credit to their goal­keeper be­cause he has put out a strong hand and earned them a point.

“I think a draw was prob­a­bly a fair de­ci­sion for the neu­trals be­fore that chance came up but that was one hell of a save.

“The goal­keeper also pulled off a great save to deny Chris Maguire from miles out so I think we were def­i­nitely wor­thy of the point.”

PIC­TURES: Ac­tion Im­ages

MAK­ING HIS POINT: Pa­trick Bauer can­celled out Far­rend Rawson’s open­ing goal to se­cure a draw for Charl­ton

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.