Saun­ders sees red as Tal­bot sent off

The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE ONE - By Jon Wal­dron

CH­ESTER­FIELD boss Dean Saun­ders felt Drew Tal­bot’s early red card spoilt the game for his side af­ter they were held to a draw by Colch­ester United.

Tal­bot was dis­missed by ref­eree Iain Wil­liamson in the 15th minute for deny­ing a goalscor­ing op­por­tu­nity, af­ter he brought down U’s striker Marvin Sordell.

But Saun­ders felt Sordell was off­side – and that right-back Tal­bot should have stayed on the field.

The Spire­ites were 3-1 up with 14 min­utes re­main­ing but Colch­ester sal­vaged a draw in a pul­sat­ing en­counter at the Proact Sta­dium, fol­low­ing Char­lie Raglan’s stop­page-time own goal.

Saun­ders said:“It was a strange game – the ref­eree and lines­man be­tween them have killed us.

“Sordell is off­side and the lines­man has not seen it and not given it.

“He (Sordell) ran across Drew, who had nowhere to go and it wasn’t a red card, for me. It spoils the game for all of the sup­port­ers and for us re­ally.

“But we scored three great goals and haven’t man­aged to hang on, at 31 up. But when Drew walked off the pitch, I prob­a­bly would have taken a point.

“I feel sorry for them, be­cause they worked so hard.”

And Colch­ester boss Tony Humes was frus­trated his side did not claim vic­tory against ten men.

Humes said:“We’re mas­sively dis­ap­pointed we’ve only got a point. Even be­fore the send­ing off, it was a game we felt we should have won.

“We scored three times but we should have scored three times more than that.

“It’s about hav­ing that ruth­less­ness and be­ing clin­i­cal at both ends of the field when it mat­ters and do­ing it un­der pres­sure.

“All we can do is what we’ve done over the last few weeks and that’s work on that de­fen­sive as­pect of the game, which we have done.” Af­ter Tal­bot's red card, Ch­ester­field took a 23rd­minute lead through Dan Jones, whose free-kick evaded a clus­ter of play­ers and flew in.

But Colch­ester equalised on the half hour when Gavin Massey drilled home from Cal­lum Har­riott’s de­liv­ery.

Har­riott and Alex Gil­bey both hit the wood­work for Colch­ester and Sordell missed a sit­ter, be­fore Ch­ester­field re­stored their lead just af­ter the hour through Lee Novak, who turned home Dan Gard­ner’s cross.

And the Spire­ites made it 3-1 with 16 min­utes re­main­ing when skip­per Samy Morsy fin­ished well from Ol­lie Banks’ as­sist.

But sub­sti­tute Ge­orge Moncur side-footed home Har­riott’s pass for 3-2, and af­ter he had clat­tered the cross­bar in stop­page­time the midfielder’s cross was turned into his own net by Raglan.



Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.