The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE ONE - By Ricky Charlesworth

DAVID Fl­itcroft saluted his team of ‘he­roes’ af­ter the Shakers shook off their Bra­mall Lane hoodoo.

The vic­tory was Bury’s first at the home of Sheffield United in 90 years.

Tom Pope broke the dead­lock shortly af­ter the hour for Bury, be­fore Nigel Ad­kins’ side re­stored par­ity when Billy Sharp net­ted from the penalty spot.

How­ever, it was the visi­tors who stole the points thanks to a stun­ning strike from Joe Ri­ley late on be­fore Leon Clarke put the ic­ing on the cake with a glo­ri­ous lob.

“This wasn’t just a team per­for­mance, it was a squad full of he­roes,” said Bury chief Fl­itcroft.

“It’s a great day and I’m very proud.

“They’ve got play­ers that will test you and we’ve had to with­stand pres­sure which I ex­pect at Bra­mall Lane.

“But what I’ve wit­nessed here is three fanat­stic goals all from open play. Joe’s strike was ab­so­lutely out­stand­ing.

“We’re full of qual­ity and looked de­fen­sively solid.

“We’ve played with no fear and our fans de­serve to be danc­ing in the aisles be­cause of our per­for­mance.

“It’s a long time since we won at this place .”

The first half was a non-event as a spec­ta­cle, with Bury’s Rob Lain­ton deny­ing Conor Sam­mon with a fine save.

Ten­sions threat­ened to boil over when Blades cap­tain Jay McEve­ley put in a scyth­ing chal­lenge on Craig Jones, for which the home skip­per was booked – one of nine yel­lows dished out in a feisty en­counter.

United starter the brighter in the sec­ond half, with a Sam­mon shot smoth­ered by Lain­ton, but de­spite United’s good start, it was the visi­tors who took the lead.

Sub­sti­tute Pope slot­ted home af­ter the Blades made a meal of clear­ing their lines.

United drew level on 73 min­utes when Sharp net­ted from the spot af­ter Kieran Wal­lace was felled in the box by Reece Brown.

Then, just when the hosts were look­ing to turn the screw Ri­ley popped up with a scorch­ing ef­fort which flew past Mark Howard.

Shortly af­ter there was a melee which ended with Leon Clarke and Sharp both be­ing cau­tioned but it failed to de­ter Clarke, who made it 3-1 late on.

Clarke pro­duced a de­li­cious lob over the stranded Howard to seal a sat­is­fy­ing trip over the Pen­nines for Bury.

Blades boss Ad­kins re­flected on ref­eree David Webb’s per­for­mance.

“The ref­eree’s had a very in­ter­est­ing af­ter­noon,” said Ad­kins.

“The crowd showed their frus­tra­tion with the ref­eree and I’m sure the of­fi­cials will re­flect on what has hap­pened.

“We got our­selves back into it and with ten min­utes to go I was think­ing ‘Let’s win the game’.

“I chucked on another striker Marc McNulty to try and win it. “But their lad has gone and scored the sec­ond goal from a long way out, so that made it an up­hill chal­lenge for us from there on in.”

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.