The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE TWO - By Matthew Good­ing

HE MAY have just watched his side hold the League Two ta­ble top­pers to a draw but Cam­bridge boss Richard Money is clearly a hard man to please.

The U’s took the lead in the sec­ond half through sub­sti­tute Ja­cob Blyth, but were pegged back when Jay Simp­son slot­ted in for Ley­ton Ori­ent who were de­nied on sev­eral oc­ca­sions by home keeper Chris Dunn.

And Money, whose team have nine points from their first seven league games, was not tak­ing many pos­i­tives de­spite the re­sult.

“Ori­ent played like a team that’s top of the league and we played like a team that’s lost a lit­tle bit of con­fi­dence in it­self, and we need to get that back pretty quickly. There’s a lot of im­prov­ing to be done,” he said.

The for­mer Wal­sall boss said his side’s cur­rent in­jury prob­lems are some of the worst he has ex­pe­ri­enced in his ca­reer, and his prepa­ra­tions weren’t helped when top scorer Barry Corr picked up an in­jury in the pre­match warm-up.

“Barry felt his calf,” said Money. “He wanted to go out there and try it, but ex­pe­ri­ence tells you he could make it worse, and dis­cre­tion is the best part of val­our some­times.

“I’m not go­ing to make ex­cuses though, be­cause we need to be bet­ter.

“I ex­pect a lot more than that and I’m sure the crowd do too.”

Ori­ent were also with­out a key man, as midfielder Dean Cox was con­fined to the bench. His re­place­ment was on-loan Peterborough midfielder Jack Payne, who came in for his O’s de­but.

Josh Coul­son could have headed Cam­bridge in front when he glanced a Luke Berry cor­ner just wide, but it was Ori­ent who cre­ated the bet­ter chances of the first pe­riod.

Simp­son hit the post be­fore Con­nor Es­sam’s header was im­pres­sively saved by Dunn, who also had to be alert to block ef­forts from Sammy Moore and Paul McCal­lum.

Cam­bridge looked much more solid af­ter the break, and took the lead when Liam Hughes’ ball down the line found Mickey Demetriou in space, and he was able to pick out Blyth with a low cross that the Le­ices­ter loa­nee clev­erly tucked away at the far post.

But Ori­ent were level 20 min­utes later when Mathieu Baudry chipped the ball over the top to find Simp­son, who got in be­hind Coul­son and kept his com­po­sure to steer a shot past keeper Dunn.

The visi­tors saw plenty of the ball in the clos­ing stages, but strug­gled to turn it into clear cut chances, though Dunn pulled off a great save in stop­page time to tip Moore’s fizzing shot from 25 yards over the cross bar.

And Ori­ent boss Ian Hen­don said: “Cam­bridge changed their shape sec­ond half to block us up be­cause we were get­ting in at them easily.

“Against the run of play they got a goal, which rocked us for a while, but credit to the boys for get­ting an equaliser, and we had a lot of pres­sure to­wards the end.”

On Cox’s fit­ness, Hen­don added: “I think it’s prob­a­bly just a fa­tigue thing. He hasn’t trained this week and was only on the bench in case we needed him in an emer­gency.”





idge Cambr HERO: Ori­ent’s ban­daged skip­per Mathieu Baudry gets up for a header and, be­low, Jay Simp­son equalises past U’s keeper Chris Dunn

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.