The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE ONE - By Adam Dent

COVEN­TRY City’s loan rangers se­cured a valu­able win for the Sky Blues at the Ri­coh Arena, but pushed Tony Mow­bray’s heart rate far too high.

The home side carved out enough changes to win a hand­ful of games but had Adam Armstrong to thank for the three points as he notched his sixth of the sea­son.

But the young on-loan trio of Armstrong, Ja­cob Mur­phy and Ryan Kent kept driv­ing for­ward look­ing to add to their lead in style – which meant an anx­ious half an hour for Mow­bray and the Ri­coh Arena faith­ful.

“We have to be pleased but we made it more nervy that it needed to be,” said Mow­bray. “We were ex­cit­ing in the first half and got into some very good po­si­tions on the break but made some wrong de­ci­sions at the vi­tal times.

“The speed and the very dy­namic move­ment of the for­ward line was very good and we were solid be­hind the ball.

“Ul­ti­mately we de­served to win the game but we should have scored more. We have some very young play­ers and I hope that our sup­port­ers will be pa­tient with them be­cause of their age.”

Coven­try were truly dom­i­nant in the first half but all too of­ten their fin­ish­ing or de­ci­sion mak­ing let them down.

Armstrong got away in the 21st minute but his ball into the box went be­hind two team-mates and Ch­ester­field were able to clear the dan­ger.

The on-loan young­ster then turned Ian Evatt in­side the box just two min­utes later but, with the ball on his left foot, he waste­fully blasted the ball over the bar.

Jim O’Brien then fol­lowed his lead just a minute later when John Fleck put him through with a pierc­ing pass from mid­field.

Evatt did well twice to block at­tacks, and his 38th-minute header away from Chris Stokes could well have kept his team on level terms. Fleck tried his luck from 25 yards, six min­utes from the in­ter­val, and Tommy Lee did well to parry and got a lucky break when the loose ball fell to a de­fender.

Ch­ester­field must have fan­cied their chances in the sec­ond half hav­ing sur­vived the first, but four min­utes af­ter the restart they were be­hind when Armstrong spun onto a pass, worked some room on the edge of the area and slot­ted the ball past Tommy Lee.

But although they carved out sev­eral more op­por­tu­ni­ties, Lee Burge had to make two fine saves in the sec­ond half to main­tain their ad­van­tage.

Ch­ester­field sub Mani Dieseru­vwe was sent off three min­utes from time for a sec­ond yel­low card, end­ing any re­al­is­tic hopes they har­boured.

Saun­ders was not down­hearted by the de­feat and felt they were in the game un­til the red card.

He said: “I would not say we were out­played but the first goal was al­ways go­ing to be cru­cial.

“They are a good team and ac­tual- ly I thought there were two good sides out there to­day.

“We got through the first half but their chances were down to us mak­ing too many er­rors in pos­ses­sion.

“Their keeper made a great save from Mani who then got him­self sent off and he has to learn from that.

“I didn’t think his first was a yel­low card, but his sec­ond one was. He couldn’t get his head on it so used his hand and had to go and that fin­ished out chances.

“We were giv­ing the ball away and try­ing to get it back and giv­ing away fouls and you can­not af­ford to do that.”

PIC­TURES: Mike Capps

LOAN RANGER: Adam Armstrong cel­e­brates with the home fans af­ter fir­ing in

WIN­NER: Adam Armstrong fires in Coven­try’s win­ner


RONG Covent


Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.