The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE ONE - By Stephen Thirkill

DAVID DUNN praised the char­ac­ter of his play­ers af­ter win­ning his first point as Old­ham Ath­letic’s care­taker man­ager.

Jonathan Burn’s first half header res­cued a valu­able point for Old­ham af­ter Andy But­ler had fired Don­caster ahead in the bat­tle of the League One strug­glers.

The Lat­ics then de­fended solidly to keep Rovers at bay dur­ing a dom­i­nant sec­ond half from the home side.

Dunn, who was put in charge fol­low­ing last Satur­day’s 5-1 thump­ing by Peterborough, said:

“You can­not un­der­es­ti­mate the value of a point. There were plenty of cuts and bruises and this was a very solid point for us.

“One thing that should be a given in football is that you work hard, and the lads put in a re­ally good shift.The boys worked their socks off and I thought they showed great char­ac­ter to fight back from go­ing a goal down away from home.

“We need to be more dis­ci­plined and not give away as many silly free-kicks as we did. Credit to the lines­man for giv­ing our goal, I thought the of­fi­cials were ex­cel­lent.”

Curtis Main and James Cop­pinger both wasted good chances to put the home side ahead dur­ing a flat first 20 min­utes.

But Rovers took the lead when Andy But­ler tapped home af­ter Old­ham failed to clear Andy Tay­lor-Sin­clair’s free-kick on 27 min­utes.

The visi­tors lev­elled seven min­utes later af­ter the lines­man ruled that Burn’s header had crossed the line.

Dany N’Gues­san wasted a glo­ri­ous chance to re-as­sert Rovers’ lead when he missed an open goal af­ter Cameron Stewart’s free-kick crashed against the post.

N’Gues­san scuffed an ef­fort wide on 57 min­utes as both sides showed a lack of cre­ativ­ity dur­ing a dull start to the sec­ond half.

Cop­pinger was the latest to fire wide for Rovers af­ter his surg­ing run through mid­field cre­ated a sight at goal on 70 min­utes.

Rovers came close to go­ing ahead two min­utes later when N’Gues­san robbed a de­fender on the half­way line, be­fore fir­ing over af­ter a pow­er­ful run.

N’Gues­san knew it wasn’t go­ing to be his, or Rovers’ day, when he headed Cameron Stewart’s cross with six min­utes re­main­ing.

Mike Jones then cleared Gary MacKen­zie’s shot off the line in in­jury-time to earn OId­ham a vi­tal point.

And Rovers care­taker boss Rob Jones be­lieves his team are on the up.

“We started very ner­vously in the first 20 min­utes and couldn’t get a foothold in the game,” he said. “It was very cagey un­til we got our goal.We had a loss of con­cen­tra­tion for their goal, we can de­bate whether it went in or not, but it stands and it was a dis­ap­point­ing goal to con­cede.

“I thought we were ex­cel­lent in the sec­ond half, we were dom­i­nant and con­trolled the game. We had enough chances to win the game and did ev­ery­thing but put them away.

“I’m pleased with ev­ery as­pect apart from their goal. That’s the most chances we have cre­ated in the last four or five weeks.”

PIC­TURES: Media Im­age


ster Donca OPENER: Andy But­ler serves up Donny’s goal be­fore Lat­ics strike back

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.