The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE TWO - By Mikael McKen­zie

AC­CRING­TON Stan­ley boss John Coleman was fum­ing with his side’s late de­fend­ing de­spite run­ning out com­fort­able win­ners against Ex­eter City.

Josh Win­dass scored two goals in as many first-half min­utes be­fore Piero Min­goia added breath­ing space on the hour mark.

Billy Kee then fired in a fourth from closerange as the Stan­ley jug­ger­naut shifted into cruise con­trol. But late goals from Lee Holmes and sub­sti­tute Joel Grant had the Stan­ley boss bit­terly dis­ap­pointed with the over­all per­for­mance – de­spite ris­ing to sixth in the ta­ble.

“We have got to learn to see out games bet­ter than that,” he said.“It was at­tack ver­sus de­fence for the last 20 min­utes. We got bat­tered.

“We let them do what they wanted and we de­clared at four-nil in a game where we thought we could go and get six or seven.

“We have got to set our stan­dards higher and the goal we con­ceded – the sec­ond one – has stopped us go­ing up to fifth and that’s the mar­gins and that’s how im­por­tant ev­ery goal is.

“We’ve played bet­ter than that this sea­son than we have here but the ball has just gone in the net for us.”

The dead­lock was bro­ken on the 33rd minute when Min­goia drilled in a cross from the right and Win­dass turned the ball home from close range.

And 80 sec­onds later the lead was dou­bled. A lapse in con­cen­tra­tion from goal­keeper Bobby Ole­jnik played the ball straight to the feet of Win­dass and he duly placed the ball into the empty net.

Stan­ley started the sec­ond half as they ended the first and they went fur­ther ahead on the hour mark. Min­goia burst down the right, played a one-two with Matty Crooks, and fired into the bot­tom cor­ner.

The Gre­cians fell fur­ther be­hind two min­utes later when Win­dass sent Kee through on goal and the for­ward blasted the ball past the help­less Ole­jnik.

Ex­eter grew into life af­ter the fourth goal and sub­sti­tute Manny Oyeleke curled an ef­fort wide of the post from dis­tance. Mo­ments later Chris­tian Ribeiro and Tom Ni­chols both tested Mooney from the edge of the box.

And the pres­sure paid div­i­dends on the 75th minute when Holmes turned the ball over the line fol­low­ing a scram­ble in the penalty area.

Grant come off the bench to fire in another con­so­la­tion in the 90th minute but Stan­ley al­ready had the three points wrapped up. And although happy with his side’s per­for­mance, Ex­eter man­ager Paul Tisdale would rather see them churn out re­sults.

“Ul­ti­mately it is about the re­sult and the amount of goals that you score and con­cede and that prob­a­bly says it all,” he said.

“The fact of the mat­ter is we lost 4-2 and large parts of our game were ex­cel­lent but the op­po­si­tion scored four. It’s a long sea­son and we have to make sure we win a lot more than we lose.

“The per­for­mance is over­shad­owed by the score­board. It’s a hard game to break down.We looked a very good football side with­out be­ing a team that won the game.”

PIC­TURES: Media Im­age



ton Ac­cring ACC AT­TACK: Piero Min­goia cel­e­brates scor­ing Ac­cring­ton’s third goal of the game

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.