Pil­grims on top thanks to Boateng

The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE TWO - By Matt Bam­sey

PLY­MOUTH boss Derek Adams sounded a note of cau­tion af­ter the Pil­grims leapfrogged Wy­combe to the league sum­mit thanks to a late win­ner from Hi­ram Boateng.

Reuben Reid net­ted his third goal of the sea­son to put the Pil­grims in front af­ter the hosts dom­i­nated the first half.

Crawley stirred af­ter the break and Roarie Dea­con thought he had res­cued a point for the Red Devils with a closerange fin­ish.

But Boateng, on loan from Crys­tal Palace, capped a stun­ning per­for­mance with a well-taken win­ner af­ter he was the first to re­act to Graham Carey’s par­ried free-kick.

The win put Ply­mouth on top of a ta­ble for the first time since 2004.Yet Adams was not about to get car­ried away by his side’s im­pres­sive start to the cam­paign.

He said: “There is a long way to go and there is no way we will get car­ried away.

“We are 11 games into the sea­son but things are mov­ing along very nicely.

“It is close at the top of the ta­ble but we are show­ing the ca­pa­bil­i­ties we have got.

“We were out­stand­ing in the first half and cre­ated many op­por­tu­ni­ties. We con­ceded a scrappy goal but showed real de­sire from the free-kick to get the win­ner.

“It was a great fol­lowup from Boateng and I am de­lighted he has got his first goal.”

It won’t be long be­fore Carey starts alert­ing higher league clubs such has been the im­pact he has made since his sum­mer switch from Ross County.

And he nearly added to his scrapbook of stun­ning strikes with an out­ra­geous, an­gled volley that swerved past the far post.

Ply­mouth got the goal their pres­sure de­served two min­utes be­fore the break when Carey threaded a de­light­ful through ball into Reid and he held off Josh Yor­w­erth be­fore slot­ting home. The Pil­grims were left to rue missed chances on 85 min­utes af­ter Dea­con came off the bench to snatch an equaliser.

Matt Har­rold’s header from Si­mon Wal­ton’s free­kick was tipped on to the post by Luke McCormick only for Dea­con to bun­dle home the re­bound.

But four min­utes later Carey’s 25-yard free-kick was par­ried by Fred­die Wood­man straight into the path of Boateng, who tucked home.

Crawley boss Mark Yates said: “We weren’t great in the first half but I thought our sec­ond half per­for­mance de­served a

point. To score and not come away with some­thing is very hard to take. But that is how things are go­ing for us at the mo­ment.We can’t come off feel­ing sorry for our­selves be­cause you will get beaten time and time again.”

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.